Found on Northumberland (UK) beach. Can you help identify please.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello - I was interested to see this. I run a project to rebuild a WW2 RAF Whitley bomber. Dave your pulley is from a WW2 British aircraft - It does look like it may even be from a Whitley. Some someone mentioned, the black paint does hint at a British bomber.

Can I recommend something? Get some wire wool or some intermediate grade sand paper (230 grit) and gently rub any numbers and stamps you can see. Once you have a better idea of what they are I can probably ID which aircraft it came from for you.
Hi Elliot,
Ive always been a little reluctant to use any abrasives just in case I loose the marks altogether. but I am willing to send it to you to look at if your interested.
I did come to the conclusion that it was a part from Whitley BD233 that crashed near Long Nanny Burn but Ime now having my doubts as I cannot see how it could travel the distance it did from crash site to find site. There is another unofficial record of a Whitley crashing in the sea just off the north coast of Holy Island which is very close to the find site. Ive tried to find out if anybody has tried to dive the area but so far no luck, although I am very keen to go and have a snorkel at low tide post lock down!
Ive also commented on another site where discusses BD233.
Ime really pleased what interest this find has created and even more interested knowing theres a project to rebuild a Whitley. My father was a rear gunner in Wellingtons and Ime sure he mentioned flying in Whitley's but unfortunately his log books long lost.
Let me know if you would like me to send the pulley to you. 07505 486639.

Dave

Dave,
Don't know if this will help, but I remember a friend of mine doing dives off Holy Island, and St.Abb's Head, around 1969 or 1970.. From memory, one was a Mosquito, and the other thought to be a Whitley, although I don't remember exactly which was which - think the Mossie was St.Abb's Head.
Unfortunately, I lost touch with him some years back, so can't ask him !

Terry.

Terry
Yes thats really interesting as it suggests again that theres a Whitley there somewhere. The snorkel and flippers are ready!!

Many thanks

Dave

Hello - I was interested to see this. I run a project to rebuild a WW2 RAF Whitley bomber. Dave your pulley is from a WW2 British aircraft - It does look like it may even be from a Whitley. Some someone mentioned, the black paint does hint at a British bomber.

Can I recommend something? Get some wire wool or some intermediate grade sand paper (230 grit) and gently rub any numbers and stamps you can see. Once you have a better idea of what they are I can probably ID which aircraft it came from for you.
Hi Elliot

Best I can do with a magnifying glass is.
Within the oval AW 400. The other numbers I think are 526583. Definitelyare the last three. 583

Dave

Hello again all.
Ive been out to an unconfirmed Whitley crash site off Holy Island, Northumberland England very close to where I found the above relic. It was a good trek out as the tide goes out quite a way just here. I came across an old timber boat and near to it some sort of machinery which I assumed was off the boat as it seemed far too heavy to be aviation related but I thought I would post a few images any way.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2148.MOV
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2149.MOV
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
Hi Dave, that looks like part of a ship or maybe a military vehicle. There was a range at Holy Island during the war. Definately not Whitley I'm afraid

Hi Elliot,
Ive always been a little reluctant to use any abrasives just in case I loose the marks altogether. but I am willing to send it to you to look at if your interested.
I did come to the conclusion that it was a part from Whitley BD233 that crashed near Long Nanny Burn but Ime now having my doubts as I cannot see how it could travel the distance it did from crash site to find site. There is another unofficial record of a Whitley crashing in the sea just off the north coast of Holy Island which is very close to the find site. Ive tried to find out if anybody has tried to dive the area but so far no luck, although I am very keen to go and have a snorkel at low tide post lock down!
Ive also commented on another site where discusses BD233.
Ime really pleased what interest this find has created and even more interested knowing theres a project to rebuild a Whitley. My father was a rear gunner in Wellingtons and Ime sure he mentioned flying in Whitley's but unfortunately his log books long lost.
Let me know if you would like me to send the pulley to you. 07505 486639.

Dave
Just to let you know that Ive sent this part down to The Whitley Project for Elliott to use in the rebuild.

Dave

Re: the Vega stamp...Vega was wholly owned subsidiary of Lockheed from the time it was set up.

Yes that is true but they were a separate legal entity with separate inspections systems and their own stamps, approved by the AAF and Navy. Lockheed owned them but they were still a separate company and also built B-17s which had Vega, not Lockheed, manufacturing plates

To use a simile - Pratt & Whitney, Boeing, Chance Vought, Hamilton Standard, Sikorsky and a number of smaller companies were all divisions of United Aircraft during the 1930s and ww2.

What you are suggesting is that all those companies should all be treated as UAC, instead of the individual companies they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back