From the pilots view of things.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

(With regard to the 'trim due to flaps automatically corrected' bit: The Me 110 actually changed the tailplane incidence in unison with the flap movement to achieve just that. Normal elevator trim was achieved by trim tabs, only the compensation for flap deflection was achived by moving the tailplane.

So in other words, the normal "nose down" response from lowering flaps is counteracted by an increase in "pitch up" elevator trim?

Ok here the 109 numbers
22" or . 55.6cm from canopy rail to canopy rail inside
32" or 81.5cm from back of seat to instrument panel
21" or 53cm from front of seat to rudder pedals
15.5" or 39.7cm from top of seat to top inside of canopy
30" 0r 76cm from bottom of seat to " " "
sorry I didn't get the other ones today

Thanks Neil!

View, obstruction of view, accuracy etc. etc....

As far as accuracy - I think we could start another thread on the best gun sights if we haven't already.

As far as obstruction - well I have a perspective. I had an opportunity to fly an L-29 with an active gun sight. It was pretty massive and seemed to take up the whole windshield. My "instructor" just told me to "look beyond it." After a while it seemed like it wasn't even there!

By all means it is easier to see without any sight in front of you. Here's a photo of what i was talking about.

Dlkab8.jpg

I think the German fighters had their sights offset (usually off to the right) to allow better foreward visibility.

I immagine the worst would probably be the telescopic sights on some aircraft in the early part of the war. (some USN/USMC aircraft, notably the F2A, TBD, and SBD as well as some Japanese aircraft, particularly in the IJA)
Some aircrsft still using iron sights might have been even worse.

Take a look at the control stick/column, looks like the German WW2 fighter control column.

Hi Koolkitty,

>I think the German fighters had their sights offset (usually off to the right) to allow better foreward visibility.

The offset to the right reportedly was to optimize the sight for right-eye dominant pilots (which obviously were considered the norm).

To improve forward visiblity and to protect the pilot in the case of a crash, the gunsight in the Me 109 would be pivoted to the right, out of sight ;) and out of the danger zone if the pilot's head struck the panel in the case of a rapid deceleration.

Just a detail, but one I consider excellently designed ... reflector plates were infamous for the injuries they could cause.

Attached a sighting diagram to show the offset. It might also be useful for finding the exact position of the pilot's eye to prepare the visiblity diagram we've been talking about.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• bf109g6u4-gunnery-data1.jpg
    bf109g6u4-gunnery-data1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 50
Interesting statement about the eye dominance but it was a big assumption. When coaching people to shoot, the first thing I test for is to check the eye dominance. You would be suprised how many right handed people have a left eye dominance.

Hi Glider,

>Interesting statement about the eye dominance but it was a big assumption. When coaching people to shoot, the first thing I test for is to check the eye dominance. You would be suprised how many right handed people have a left eye dominance.

Interesting - how does your check work?

(I guess in the 1930s, the Germans were not really into "going with the flow" ... probably they decided everyone should be right-eye dominant, or else! ;)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

There are a number of tests but the simplest one to do yourself is as follows.

a) With both eyes open put an arm out in front of you
b) Raise the thumb, line it up on a fixed point
c) Focus on the thumb, then on the fixed point in the distance
d) Without moving the arm, close one eye
e) If the thumb is still lined up on the fixed point, then that is the dominant eye.
f) Check this by opening both eyes and closing the second one.

If its the weaker eye, the thumb will appear to move to the left or right depending on which eye is dominant.
If there is no dominance the thumb will move a short distance either way depending on the eye thats open.

When teaching archery I do the same test and if someone is left eye dominant and right handed we actually teach them to shoot left handed. It harder in the short term, but in the long term they will do better shooting left handed.

Interesting statement about the eye dominance but it was a big assumption. When coaching people to shoot, the first thing I test for is to check the eye dominance. You would be suprised how many right handed people have a left eye dominance.

That's me. Right handed, left eye dominant. But I have always shot (whether weapon or camera) with both eyes open.

To a degree it depends on the strength of the dominance but normally I would suggest either:-

a) Use a cross beam on the sigth so you can shoot right handed but sight with the left eye or
b) Put a piece of light covered perspex attached to the sight which covers the forward view of the left eye. That way you get the benefit of having both eyes open, without the problem of left eye dominance.

B is far more common than A as using the cross beam there are a few problems such as keeping the sight level.
I am right eye dominance and right handed still use B. Top shots wear what looks like a pair of glasses but instead perspex on the sight have a small piece that hangs down from the frame just to distrupt the forward view of the left eye.

Some people use a patch over the left eye but the benefits of keeping both eyes open are significant

As mentioned before, if I were to teach you archery I would try to get you to shoot left handed.

To a degree it depends on the strength of the dominance but normally I would suggest either:-

a) Use a cross beam on the sigth so you can shoot right handed but sight with the left eye or
b) Put a piece of light covered perspex attached to the sight which covers the forward view of the left eye. That way you get the benefit of having both eyes open, without the problem of left eye dominance.

B is far more common than A as using the cross beam there are a few problems such as keeping the sight level.
I am right eye dominance and right handed still use B. Top shots wear what looks like a pair of glasses but instead perspex on the sight have a small piece that hangs down from the frame just to distrupt the forward view of the left eye.

Some people use a patch over the left eye but the benefits of keeping both eyes open are significant

As mentioned before, if I were to teach you archery I would try to get you to shoot left handed.

Interesting regarding different philosophies.

I teach more shotgun shooting than anything else - where the target is moving rapidly at various angles. If I run into a right hand/left eye dominance at a young age I also encourage - switching - rather than blurring or covering the 'off eye'.

For the older shooter set in their ways I usually make them aware of the issue and stress a low or dismounted gun approach to even competitive clay target (or live flyers) so that both eyes are always open and focused on acquiring and keeping the target as the gun moves into shoulder and barrel swings through the bird.

Usually there will be 'unexplainable' misses for the cross shooter, but at least aware of the potential for dominant eye to 'take over' at the last second..

I have always rejected the 'blurring' concept for those that are 'eye/hand' matched but I know some top shooters that do just that for Skeet. I suspect the constancy of same target at every location for skeet helps..

I have also noticed that many American style Skeet shooters that learned and adhered to sustained lead are TERRIBLE Flyer shooters in live bird competition - both for boxed and Columbaire style..

I shoot with both eyes for everything but pistol and rifle Qualification shooting where I prefer the sights to be in focus.

Opinions vary on this topic among experts.

There are a number of tests but the simplest one to do yourself is as follows.

a) With both eyes open put an arm out in front of you
b) Raise the thumb, line it up on a fixed point
c) Focus on the thumb, then on the fixed point in the distance
d) Without moving the arm, close one eye
e) If the thumb is still lined up on the fixed point, then that is the dominant eye.
f) Check this by opening both eyes and closing the second one.

If its the weaker eye, the thumb will appear to move to the left or right depending on which eye is dominant.
If there is no dominance the thumb will move a short distance either way depending on the eye thats open.

I have only modified your method by making a circle of thumb and first finger to double check the 'thumb' only. I have found it to be a good crosscheck particularly for people with little dominance in either eye.

This may be of interest. This is a high end shooting glasses frame. The circle holds the lens, the black patch distrupts the vision from the left eye. I have seen light patches rather than black and in some cases just a stick like a matchstick.

http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/images/championworld4640.jpg

Me I am low cost. I wear normal glasses with the lens adapted to be ideal towards the top left of the right lens and a light cream coloured perspex attached to the sight that covers the forward vision of the left eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back