Future Polish

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
hey guys? I read that lots of modelers, especially car and airliner modelers put a finishing touch on their models using this thing called Future Floor Polish. I looked it up and looks like it's available everywhere. I've a few questions for those who use it here:

1. How do I apply it, exactly?
2. can I apply it before I apply the decals?
3. is it safe to use on enamel based paints?

Somewhere here on the forum, there is a link to everything you need to know about Future. I think it's called 'The Complete Future', or something similar. It's uses and how to use it have been shown here many, many times.
But to answer your questions in brief; it's basically an acrylic varnish, wax based and water soluble.
It can be applied by brush, or airbrush. but careful as a little goes a long way.
If applying by brush, keep checking for runs, as it is very 'thin', and will spread easily. It will find its own level and dry smooth, although sometimes more than coat is required for a really gloss finish.
It's main use is to give a gloss surface for decals, so yes, definitely apply before decals.
Yes, it's safe to use on enamels. If, however, you need to re-paint an area, in enamels, after applying Future, check it first, as in some instances, the paint, on top of Future, can react.
If you read virtually any post by the other modellers here on the forum, you'll find it's mentioned somewhere.
it can also be mixed with Tamiya Flat Base, in varying proportions, to produce anything from a semi-gloss to a full matt finish.

haha, it's settled, then. I'm buying Future polish today! (along with parchment paper for my airplane cookies <3)

by the way, how long should I wait before i apply decals after applying the polish?

I'm going to try future for the first time. Do you do the whole model or just those areas where decals are going to be placed? then acrylic clear flat on top of that?
I've been putting the decals on over my mil flats then acrylic clear flat on top of that but the decals are always a bit hazy that way

I put it on the entire model, that way I can fill the panel lines with thinned enamel paint and wipe it with a thinner dampened q-tip. Be careful with decal setting solutions, some of them have a reaction with the Future and turn it milky color. I know micro-set will do this. I put a coat of Future over the decals after they have been on a day to seal them and give everything the same sheen before I spray on dullcoat.

T-bolt, if you're doing the entire model are you using an airbrush? I just put in one bubble window so I'm woried about getting it on the clear plastic. Decal setting solution, new one on me, i put the wet decals on let them dry for a day then hit them with dullcoat. I know what the panel lines are, so you coat the entire model with furure, let it dry, brush the panel lines with thined-out ? , let it dry? then wipe off with thinner on a q-tip, then dull coat. The panel lines on the B-29 are raised, not indented, so how will that work?

Last edited:
Future will actually make clear parts gleam like polished gleaming things! It's often used where canopies etc are dipped in the liquid, and then allowed to drain. This gives a perfectly clear, shiny look, better than the original.
It's also used to make transparent parts shine after being sanded and polished to remove scratches, for example.
The Future can be applied by brush or airbrush, over the entire model, before decals, to give an even appearance and smooth surface for the decals to draw down on. Decal solutions are normally in two parts, a softener and a setting solution, the most common being Micro Sol and Micro Set. The Sol softens the decal, after being dipped in water as normal, but before application, allowing the decal to conform over ridges and into recessed detail etc.
The Set is designed to draw down the decal, so that it conforms without silvering, giving a 'painted on' look. This applied to the area to be decalled, and to the decal once in place, and can be quite alarming at first, as the decal my wrinkle and look really strange, until set. Don't touch the decal during this process - it's normal!
Personally, I don't use the 'Set', as it can re-act with Future, and use a small drop of the 'Sol', with some water, in the area of the decal instead. It works just as well.
The method for panel lines described by Glenn is for recessed lines, and will not work the same with raised lines. I normally find that raised panel detail needs very little enhancement, otherwise the whole model looks false. They can be used as a masking guide though, to vary tones and shades, especially on a bare metal finish, and can be highlighted, if desired, by dry-brushing or pencil work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back