Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JV44HeinzBar

Recruit
Feb 18, 2021
S! All,
This is my first post on here. I appreciate any help that is offered in regards to answering my question(s).

I'm looking for evidence that the A6 used rustsatze kits R1 (wb151/20 twin pack), R2 (mk108), R3 (mk103 gun pods), or R4 (GM-1 boost) on either front. I know the wb151/20 has been documented by photo evidence on the A5, but I can't seem to find any photo evidence, nor written evidence (reports, testimony, etc.) for the use of these kits on the fw190a6. I have a couple of anecdotal references from J. Campbell - fw190 in action, as well as, B. Filley - fw190a, g, f in action. It briefly mentions the use of these kits, but both state limited use. Any evidence other than what I provided would only help my case to get an accurate picture of these kits as they concern the A6.

My second question concerns the A6's wing. It's been stated in several books that the wing was lighter and stronger. I understand that internal structures were probably strengthened, but I can't seem to find a comparison of weights between the A5 vs A6 wing. Any numbers concerning the weights of these wings?

Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture6.jpg

Thanks,
HB

Smith and Creek's Volume 1 of 3 has the following for the A-6:

R1: 60 aircraft were converted and the first were delivered to 3/JG11 end of November 43. several pics of prototype installations on an A6.
R2: Only one built, W. Nr. 530765 which continued to be a test bed aircraft for other mods. 2 pics.
R3: 3 pics of installation on prototype machine which was then passed on to I/SG151 at Oels. Damaged on 22 January 1945 designated as Black 28. Seems no others made.
R4: prototype tests on one airframe (V45 WNr 7347) between 1943 and late 44. No other numbers given.

No discussion of wing structural changes other than to accommodate the MG151/20.

Thanks so much Crimea. Once I get back home, I'll dig into my volumes. Creek & Smith are the best :) As a side question, I heard rumors awhile back that a 4th volume was in the works? Have you heard anything about this volume?

Thanks,
HB

Ok. Thanks again for the info. BTW, volume 3 is good, but not as in depth as the other two volumes, IMO.

:) I have Crandall's first volume. Is the 2nd one worth it? It's been on my wish list for some time. Check out Green Hearts by Urbanke(?). Decent book.

I've got another question for you concerning the mk103. Did any of the F or G models run the gondolas for tank busting? I can't recall them being used, but it's been awhile since I've read anything about the F/G series.

HB

F-3/R2 saw 3 test machines trialled with underslung Mk103's but performance was sluggish and guns could not penetrate T-34 armour. Mods were done to the gun fairing to become an R3 but none of these reached front line service.

G-3/R1 had same setup as A-6/R1 but no data is given for numbers produced, if any.

Crimea,
I dug up some data concerning the F-3/R3. I believe Arado produced 20 A/C with the mk103. This comes from a couple of old books ( Focke Wulf 190 H. Norwarra) (Focke-Wulf 190 G. Swanborough, W. Green)

I found another reference for the WB/ 151/20 being used. This time the aircraft in question was fw190g-3. LZA was subcontracted in Sept 43 at the Luftwaffe base Sagan-Kopper in Poland. No auto pilot or additional armor was used in the conversion of the donated A-6.

If you're interested in joining a forum fight to correct some issues in IL2 Great Battles Simulation. You should join the discussion. I forgot how much I enjoyed research since I retired. :)

HB

Just for info: the Rüstsatz list from the old book has many wrongs:
R2 was no gondola, that was an inner wing gun installation. Not a Rüstsatz (in the sense of quick add/remove) as it required a lot of internal changes. In the Bf 109 family it would have received an /U number.
/R8 is nonsense as it's an R2 base aircraft with additional armor from R7 kit
R5 for the A-8 is nonsense as it was a standard fit once the tanks became available
R11 was a major upgrade too as was the R1 radio upgrade for older aircraft.
R12 of this list smells fishy

Hi Denniss,
Thanks for joining the discussion. I wouldn't use the term nonsense since most of these kits were proposals and from my readings, not all of these Rutstastz made it to production. Most of kits shown were tested on A-5s. I can only find a few instances where some of these kits were used in the field. That's why I was reaching out to others to see if anyone can provide more data, with citations, to help clarify this small part of FW190 history.

HB

A-8/R2 and /R11 were production versions, just slapping-on the R7 armor kit does not make it an R8 but an /R2 with R7 installed
don't know if /R12 was possible at all as the MK 108 required additional space for compressed air bottles and those were installed in the fuselage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back