FW 190D Engine Run Video

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Here is an old video of an engine run for an Fw 190D.

Thought this might prove interesting, too. It's at the old Doug Champlin Fighter Museum in Chandler, AZ.

Think so ... the Champlin D-13 was missing a carburetor part and could not come up off idle ... only the idle circuit was working ... unless they fabricated a new one. Later, they fitted a starter to it, which was greatly appreciated by the guys turning the crank. That guy was called the batman.

Here's another one:

Last edited:
Think so ... the Champlin D-13 was missing a carburetor part and could not come up off idle ... only the idle circuit was working ... unless they fabricated a new one. Later, they fitted a starter to it, which was greatly appreciated by the guys turning the crank. That guy was called the batman.

They aren't fuel injected?

I think is was fuel-injected. Incorrect choice of words there on my part, but there was an idle circuit and a run circuit in the words of the mechanic there, and the idle circuit was working while the run circuit was not.

The Jumo 213F has a 2-speed, 2-stage supercharger without intercooler. The 213E was the same WITH intercooler.

Appreciate you pointing out my error, it was s case of typing without thinking ...

Yup, the D-13 is missing the mechanical 'computer' that controlled the engine and connected it to the throttle. It was fairly advanced in 1945, and thus is beleived to have taken, disassembled and studied after the war by the US.

If I understand correctly, even the idle circuit on the Champlin D-13 had to be 'bodged up' a bit to get the engine running - but lets face it, even if the computer was still there, you'd be insane to fly such a one off piece of history!

The National Air and Space Museum (and also the Udvar-Hazy Center) is NOT a flying museum, and that is their choice, and it's fine.

I'd fly it in a heartbeat. I volunteer at the Planes of Fame, a flying museum. I am NOT a fan of static aircraft, I like to see them airborne. We have had many discussions in here about whether or not it is advisable to fly old warbirds, and we have to agree to disagree. Fortunately, I live in a country where the owner of the aircraft gets to make that decision, not the government or some conservation group. Here, if it is airworthy and you are or have a qualified pilot, you can fly it or have it flown for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back