Fw187 could have been German P-38? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

t
No chance, and that is not because of the types of aircraft used but how they were used. The Luftwaffe's tactics, organisation, communications and intelligence were not up to the task, just to mention some of the problems.
You do have a point on this

Goering thought in 1945 that the Bob had been fought to a draw, as do many modern historians. That is not what the surviving Luftwaffe pilots thought at the time. They felt they had been beaten. Having a different aircraft (if DB powered this means fewer of the other two principal types) would not have altered that.
LW was given a Mission and failed to complete it. Defeat. Fw 187 could ,with proper tactis, have made the result much more costly for the england

The Fw 187 would not have outclassed the British fighters. It might have drawn squadrons outside 11 Group into the battle by dint of its superior range. That would have made Leigh-Mallory, Bader and the rest of 12 Group happy men.
A single Seat DB601 Fw 187 would have outclass the hurricain and would have a clear edge on spitfire. This particular discussion has been made extensively in the past. We dont agree, it s ok

Cheers

Steve

The Luftwaffe could have caused far more damage to Fighter Command with the aircraft it had given better intelligence, tactics, communications etc. It didn't need a Fw 187 to do this.

I don't agree that any THEORETICAL service version of the Fw 187 in 1940 would have had an edge on the RAF's Spitfire I. Nobody knows because a fully equipped service version of the Fw 187 never existed. Quoting figures for the DB 601 powered prototype, which was little more than an experimental flying test bed, just doesn't work for me.
The single seat version was ditched by the RLM on 20th January 1937, long before the war and shouldn't enter into consideration. The only possible version after that would have been a two seat 'destroyer'.
We'll just agree to differ :).

Cheers

Steve

Hey Viking85,

Looks like everyone more or less agrees that the Fw 187 could probably have been a German P-38, but we're not all that much in agreement as to whether it would make any difference to the outcome of the war.

I think EVERYBODY recognizes that a DB-powered Fw 187 was a better heavy fighter than the Bf 110. It's the details of the Fw 187's potential versatility and what would have been missing had it been produced that seem to be the sticky points.

Last edited:
Hey Viking85,

Looks like everyone is agree that the Fw 187 could probably have been a German P-38, but we're not all that much in agreement as to whether it would make any difference to the outcome of the war.

I think EVERYBODY recognizes that a DB-powered Fw 187 was a better heavy fighter than the Bf 110. It's the details of the Fw 187's potential versatility and what would have been missing had it been produced that seem to be the sticky points.

Fair enough. I didn't think it would change the outcome, one piece of equipment rarely will (unless its the A-bomb). Still it would be an improvement over what was there.

I think the DH 103 Hornet is what the Fw 187 would have evolved into if had been given the time to be developed further. It compares better to the 187 than the P-38 does as it is not a twin boom configuration. The fuselages virtually have the same dimensions being just as sleek.
At the time the Hornet appeared it could be transformed into a night fighter. The equipment has been fitted in it. Maybe the 187 could be, too.

I think the DH 103 Hornet is what the Fw 187 would have evolved into if had been given the time to be developed further.

In the Luftwaffe's dreams.

It compares better to the 187 than the P-38 does as it is not a twin boom configuration. The fuselages virtually have the same dimensions being just as sleek.

I thought the dimensions would be the more important part, not the configuration.

At the time the Hornet appeared it could be transformed into a night fighter. The equipment has been fitted in it. Maybe the 187 could be, too.

Remember that the NF.21 was a post war aircraft, meaning that its radar equipment was, most probably, smaller and lighter than war time radar.

The cockpit of the Fw 187 was a seriously tight space.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/PippinBill/5614.jpg

So I doubt that any useful radar could be fitted. They could change the fuselage to fit radar, but then it would be a virtually new aircraft.

I think the DH 103 Hornet is what the Fw 187 would have evolved into if had been given the time to be developed further. It compares better to the 187 than the P-38 does as it is not a twin boom configuration. The fuselages virtually have the same dimensions being just as sleek.

A problem with the 187 as built is that the main fuel tank was right behind the cockpit. 620 liters on the V4 and around 880 liters for some of the later proposed versions, two more tanks were in the wing roots. 245 liters each on the V4 and 210 liters each for the proposed versions. This helps roll performance compared to a plane with most of it's fuel in the wings but limits how much stuff you can stick in the fuselage for other roles. The Hornet did have a fuel tank in the fuselage behind the pilot but it wasn't the main tank, most of the fuel in the Hornet was in a series of wing tanks.

DH103-Hornet.jpg

Hornet nightfighter had the radar operator quite a ways back in the fuselage
1066282M.jpg

Counter balance for the weight of radar equipment in the new nose or????
Radar operator was about where the normal radio gear was or camera location for recon versions. Early war German cameras were much larger than British cameras. I am not getting into an argument on which was better but an early war German recon plane needed a certain amount of volume (space) to hold the standard camera/s. The standard large German camera also went about 160lbs (73KG ?) so was a little harder to place in an aircraft due to CG problems.

Luftwaffe Cameras

Perhaps a Fw 187 recon plane could have used a smaller fuselage tank and more internal wing tanks but the more changes you make between different versions they more expensive they get.

The Hornet was designed for and had six times the power of the Jumo powered Fw 187. There would certainly have been serious problems involved in adapting the Fw 187 airframe to that. I doubt that would be a feasible 'evolution'. Better to start again with a better airframe.
Cheers
Steve

Hornet's engines were 3 times as powerful as Jumo 210s, not 6 times :)
It's wing was some 20% greater than the Fw-187, the fuel volume/weight 50-100% greater than the Fw-187. The later, with DB 605ASM or 605D should be a contender.

The Hornet was designed for and had six times the power of the Jumo powered Fw 187. There would certainly have been serious problems involved in adapting the Fw 187 airframe to that. I doubt that would be a feasible 'evolution'. Better to start again with a better airframe.
Cheers
Steve
The Bf 109 airframe started with 600 ps and ended with 2000 ps with minor airframe modifications. Why Fw 187 would not be able tofollow the same path?
Besides , Fw did produce design of the 187 with db605 and judged the airframe capable of speeds of 700 ++ km/h

Remember that the NF.21 was a post war aircraft, meaning that its radar equipment was, most probably, smaller and lighter than war time radar.

The cockpit of the Fw 187 was a seriously tight space.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/PippinBill/5614.jpg

So I doubt that any useful radar could be fitted. They could change the fuselage to fit radar, but then it would be a virtually new aircraft.

The Hornet's Cockpit looks just as tight. Concerning the smaller radar equipment that's what I meant that it could have been build into the 187.

A problem with the 187 as built is that the main fuel tank was right behind the cockpit. 620 liters on the V4 and around 880 liters for some of the later proposed versions, two more tanks were in the wing roots. 245 liters each on the V4 and 210 liters each for the proposed versions. This helps roll performance compared to a plane with most of it's fuel in the wings but limits how much stuff you can stick in the fuselage for other roles. The Hornet did have a fuel tank in the fuselage behind the pilot but it wasn't the main tank, most of the fuel in the Hornet was in a series of wing tanks.

View attachment 282340

Hornet nightfighter had the radar operator quite a ways back in the fuselage
View attachment 282341
Counter balance for the weight of radar equipment in the new nose or????
Radar operator was about where the normal radio gear was or camera location for recon versions. Early war German cameras were much larger than British cameras. I am not getting into an argument on which was better but an early war German recon plane needed a certain amount of volume (space) to hold the standard camera/s. The standard large German camera also went about 160lbs (73KG ?) so was a little harder to place in an aircraft due to CG problems.

Luftwaffe Cameras

Perhaps a Fw 187 recon plane could have used a smaller fuselage tank and more internal wing tanks but the more changes you make between different versions they more expensive they get.

The late war Doras and Ta 152 did or at least were planned to have wing tanks. Why this shouldn't be possible with their stablemate 187?

Cheers
Steve

See dedalos' post.

Hornet's engines were 3 times as powerful as Jumo 210s, not 6 times :)
It's wing was some 20% greater than the Fw-187, the fuel volume/weight 50-100% greater than the Fw-187. The later, with DB 605ASM or 605D should be a contender.

The Hornet had a wing area of 33,5 m^2, the 187 30,6 m^2

Last edited:
Indeed you're right re. wing areas, my bad.

About the wing tanks, Fw 187 have had a substantial wing for a fighter. Stuffing some fuel tanks in the wings should not be the problem. P-38 gained 400+ liters in the outer wing LE.

By incorporating wing tanks the fuselage tank could be reduced or omitted thus making space for other stuff e.g. sufficient weaponry etc..
And the night fighter versions of the Hornet needed a lenghtened nose for the radar. So that should be possible for the Fw 187, too.

Last edited:
Adding fuel tanks to existing wings was certainly possible. It just wasn't as easy as some people believe. P-38 was kind of a special case as the leading edge from the engine nacelle to the wing tip had been used for the inter cooler and Lockheed did change the form of construction of the leading edge.

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/Content/1944/P38_Av_4408_DA_leading-edge_p131_W.png

Other planes may have needed one or more ribs taken out and suitable reinforcements (including heavier wing skin) used around the tank area.

While the Spitfire added leading edge tanks it was only done to Spitfires done in certain factories, Other factories (or one?) stayed with the original wing until end of production.

I just assume that the radar equipment of the Fw 187 is just
as small as the Hornet's. The Hornet's nose had to be lenghtened
for the radar. Why shouldn't that be possible for the 187?

The Ta 152 c and H had a shortened wing spar in order to make space for the
Wing tanks. The rest of the wings were reinforced by more ribs and had more rugged skin.

The Germans were behind on centimetric AI radar.

The Sea Hornet's radar was a late war development, and it was a smaller radar of lesser capability than the ones used in the Mosquito and Black Widow.

The Germans won't have an equivalent before the end of the war.

German ww2 radar will have to have the 'antlers' antennae, bar a token number of 'Berlin' radars that appeared as ww2 drew to the end. For the second crew member (I'm not the greatest fan of a 2-seater Fw-187, but it sure beats the Fw 190 as a night fighter), maybe devise an 'elevated' cockpit, not unlike what the Do-335 had? Granted, it will cost performance-wise, but should leave a bit more room for the 'black boxes'? Also gives more room for the radar operator?
Relocating more fuel in the wings should free more space in the fuselage.

The Germans were behind on centimetric AI radar.

The Sea Hornet's radar was a late war development, and it was a smaller radar of lesser capability than the ones used in the Mosquito and Black Widow.

The Germans won't have an equivalent before the end of the war.

I am just assuming that they hypothetically have similar radar equipment to make them equal in this point.

At least all the engine instruments for the Hornet are in the cockpit.

Maybe some modification of spacial nature to the nose could have helped the Fw 187 to have in-cockpit-instruments. Some little but sufficient change to not affect the aerodynamics adversely of course. It perhaps would have resulted in blunder or longer nose but with the same frontal cross section.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back