Fw190A-8

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi guys and girls

here is the finished model. In my least favorite scale 1/72:oops:

this is my VERY first attempt at " MOTTLING"
I only bought this kit to practise on. I think it's come out ok not to bad for a first attempt,so i am :D:D:D

fw 190a-8(1).jpg

fw190a-8 (2).jpg

fw190a-8(3).jpg

fw190 (4).jpg

fw190 (5).jpg

Quite good work.But I have a few questions Keith.What did you use for the mottling making? What happened to the cockpit conopy? Did you paint the cockpit interior?

Hi Keith,

Using a cotton is not a good solution for the scale models.I think you should have used a sponge rather or a brush simply.
Looking at the model pics I have noticed you used to much of a glue and your cockpit got "milky" colour at its edges, unless I'm wrong.

Once again rush, rush, rush.......

thanks Wojtek

i think i did use to much glue on the cockpit canopy. i will have to try the sponge effect as i have never tried it before

True but it was only to practise on

Saying that and looking at the pics i have rushed it :oops::oops::oops:

i feel stupid i need shooting for rushing

No, you need valium! Seriously though, the longer you take the more satisfaction you can derive from the finished model. I think that Wurger, Wayne and Ron would agree with that.

Also by rushing you're not getting your money's worth from the kit itself.... just think, two 1/48 scale kits = one decent bottle of single malt whisky. :D

i've got Diazapam if thats any good, can't stand WHISKY my favorite tipple is BRANDY yum, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I new i would cause some agro with this model :lol::lol:.

But i can't complain as it was only £4.90 or something like that, also it will not last 2mins with my neice. :D

No, you need valium! Seriously though, the longer you take the more satisfaction you can derive from the finished model. I think that Wurger, Wayne and Ron would agree with that.

Also by rushing you're not getting your money's worth from the kit itself.... just think, two 1/48 scale kits = one decent bottle of single malt whisky. :D

I sign this post with my two hands Keith.The main rule of modelling says that all has to be tried on three times before it is glued once.In fact it is better to try on much more times and then put parts together once.
Keith it doesn't matter for what purpose you make a model.A model has to be make step by step, as slowly as possible.Using the way you can avoid many traps and mistakes and save a lot of money for other nice kits.

Thanks Wojtek

i will take my time with the Tamiya 190A-3 as that is what i am going to take mt time with :)

On the sponge? is a bath sponge ok to use for mottling.

Hey keith, i'm not here to badger you about rushing but it always shows. I used to be a rusher, I would rattle can something then go touch it 5 minutes later because I was impatient and wanted to keep building. Once I "chilled" out I started getting models that looked, well rather nice. Here is a b-25 mitchell I built last Christmas when I got back into modeling, I wasn't active on a forum and I was just rushing and building to get it done. A owe a lot of thanks to these guys, teaching me to slow down and prepare the model for the paint and take my time. We are always learning mate! I thought the model was the best thing I ever built too, until I got on a forum and got completely blasted saying how it was garbage :cry:

I know this was a practice model and how you hate the scale, but what we do in practice reflects our final result. Practice and patience and your on your way to some nice models!

[Note: The fuselage, the silvering on the decals, the non-painted fuselage, cut up decals, and whatever else is wrong :lol:. Patience has its rewards!!!]

Attachments

• PICT0049.JPG
    PICT0049.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 154
  • PICT0048.JPG
    PICT0048.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 142
  • PICT0047.JPG
    PICT0047.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 152
  • PICT0050.JPG
    PICT0050.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 151
On the sponge? is a bath sponge ok to use for mottling.

Yes it is Keith but you have to use a small pieces.Fix these pieces on small sticks what will make it easier to operate them.Also you can go to a shop with cosmetics for women.These use the same or similar like in the pic below for applying colours under eyes.With scissors shape these top of sponges in ordr to get a few different shapes.

Attachments

• topowanie.jpg
    topowanie.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hey keith, i'm not here to badger you about rushing but it always shows. I used to be a rusher, I would rattle can something then go touch it 5 minutes later because I was impatient and wanted to keep building. Once I "chilled" out I started getting models that looked, well rather nice. Here is a b-25 mitchell I built last Christmas when I got back into modeling, I wasn't active on a forum and I was just rushing and building to get it done. A owe a lot of thanks to these guys, teaching me to slow down and prepare the model for the paint and take my time. We are always learning mate! I thought the model was the best thing I ever built too, until I got on a forum and got completely blasted saying how it was garbage :cry:

I know this was a practice model and how you hate the scale, but what we do in practice reflects our final result. Practice and patience and your on your way to some nice models!

[Note: The fuselage, the silvering on the decals, the non-painted fuselage, cut up decals, and whatever else is wrong :lol:. Patience has its rewards!!!]

Very nice indeed. But you didn't paint the canopy frames?

I didn't know they were supposed to be painted, I didn't know much about aircraft and never thought of it.. Ha ha, oh do we learn fast..

Ha ha ha the truth is out there Mag. I know why the conopy frames were unpinted. :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: Well i'm sure if they weren't painted pilots would have had a less annoying time trying to look around the painted lines!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back