GB 33 Split Theme Proposal (1 Viewer)

Chose your preferred GB 33 secondary theme from the list below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
There seem to be few people interested in entering a WW1 subject for GB 33 so I propose that we split the theme for this GB. Those interested in entering a WW1 subject can still do so but other entries would be allowed based on an agreed upon theme.

Judging would be as always, with one 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each skill category. WW1 subjects and entries from the one other chosen theme would be equally considered.

We've discussed this before but never did act on it so this time I'd like to suggest we get organized well beforehand. I have summarized a number of ideas from previous discussions and created the above poll. If you'd like to participate in GB 33 but do not wish to enter a WW1 subject, please select UP TO 3 preference for the second theme from the list above. Making your selections for first, second, and third preferences will give a better chance of us identifying a clear winner. I'll leave the poll open until the end of January so that we can have the second theme agreed for the start of the GB on Feb 1.

1 RAF Prop or jet, does this include more modern types, 50's -70's ?
2 aces aircraft
3 over water

My votes Andy, have a few jets for the first, couple of the usual subjects for the second and a lone FAA Hellcat for the third !

1: WW2 Over Water. An Avenger done in the anti-submarine scheme
B) Training/Target Tugs/Transport Aircraft (prop or jet). Got that pesky Stearman biplane in RCAF colors.
Third)....I'll get back to you. Have to check the stash when I get home

Good stuff guys. Karl, I'd say that any RAF aircraft, any era, would fit the bill. Trying not to limit this too much.

All, take note. If we agree, we can use these results to split other upcoming builds as well if desired.

Clarification question here. For the category " other nations" how do you want to deal with those countries of the Commonwealth that served in the UK especially where markings were often times identical to RAF aircraft, ie RCAF, RAAF,etc.

Jeff

Wasn't my idea but I think the intent was to get different air forces represented like France, Romania, Italy, Finland, etc. so Commonwealth pilots' planes in the RAF would not qualify. I think John (JKim) suggested this one so maybe he can clarify.

Wasn't my idea but I think the intent was to get different air forces represented like France, Romania, Italy, Finland, etc. so Commonwealth pilots' planes in the RAF would not qualify. I think John (JKim) suggested this one so maybe he can clarify.
While I suspect you are correct, the way it is written above would allow for say a 401 sqdn (RCAF) Hurricane or Spitfire to be entered as it is not one of the Big 5 countries.

Jeff

While I suspect you are correct, the way it is written above would allow for say a 401 sqdn (RCAF) Hurricane or Spitfire to be entered as it is not one of the Big 5 countries.

Jeff

It was just an idea to get some of the less known countries' aircraft portrayed. I wasn't thinking of Commonwealth aircraft but I'm ok with letting those in since its better to be more inclusive IMO.

I voted for...
1 - WW2 over Water
2 - Aces
3 - RAF

I would recommend using these results and we setting up alternate themes for GB 34 and 35 as well. Thanks for doing this Andy! I think this will be a great benefit to the participation of these next three GB's.

Last edited:
All,

An idea was kicked around on another thread to perhaps create a Corsair-themed unofficial GB. Since we are voting on splitting the theme of official GB 33, I have added the option "Cory's Corsairs" to the list to allow everyone to consider this option for the split GB. The poll has been set up to allow vote changes so if you'd like to switch your votes, you can go ahead and do that.

Very true Karl. That's another idea. People can use the WW2 over water to do Corsairs if they wish. Myself, I don't have one in the stash.

I don't have a Corsair in the stash and WW2 Over Water would include Corsairs so I'll keep my vote as is.

No. Interwar refers to between WW1 and WW2.

As for Glenn's question, I'd be OK with making an exception as long is it's for Corsairs only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back