GB 33 Split Theme Proposal

Chose your preferred GB 33 secondary theme from the list below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I won't be doing a WW1 bird bu if this goes to WW2 Over Water like it seems to be, I have a couple of options I can do:

Tamiya Ar196
Tamiya Swordfish MkII
AM B-25B Doolittle Raider

Geo - there were indeed some kiwi pilots operating off RN carriers, including the test pilot R.C 'Don' Nairn, who carried out the Corsair deck landing trials for the Royal Navy and made the recommendations that resulted in it's modifications for carrier use (strengthened oleos, RAF bubble type canopy, etc). I will post a 1996 article he wrote on that for NZ Wings magazine when I get my stuff from Hungary.

Guys - so we're talking a 3-way split build?

I still want to try the Avro 504K Night fighter for the WW I build (for the challenge, and as a practice build to gain experience before I attempt my stringy NZPAF/RNZAF types), plus something for the split subject. Most likely a Corsair, though debating on a Vickers Vincent or Vildebeeste...

WNW_FokkerDVII.jpg
Well, I am going to tackle a WWI bird a Fokker DVII and depending on how it goes a Kate as well.

OK, so the most popular subjects are WW2 over Water and Cory's Corsairs so the split will be defined as follows:

Theme 1: WW1 aircraft as per original poll
Theme 2: WW2 Over Water - carrier based, long range patrol, or amphibious aircraft but could also be land-based ship busters. The intent is that the theme address aircraft of a nautical nature. Carrier based aircraft (yes even Doolittle's B-25's), amphibians, or float planes clearly qualify as would those associated with locating or destroying ships from land bases. This would include FAA planes, Coastal Command planes, and others such as the FW200 whose roles have, to a large extent, been noted for anti-shipping activities. In addition, ALL Corsairs, including land based and post war examples, will be allowed.

Judging will be done on all entries on a common basis. There will be not be two sets of winners.

Thanks to everyone who voted and have fun with the Split GB which starts tomorrow. Let's see lots of entries!

Cool, when I get home I will start a PBY thread. I get the feeling that the judges had better be ready to earn their money on this one. It could be one of the most popular builds of all time. While there is lots of plastic in the PBY, it doesn't look to complicated for an oob build. Gentlemen .......We have a contest!

Last edited:
Groovy. I just ordered a Hobbyboss 1/48 F4U-7 Corsair but I'll tackling the Avenger first as I might have trouble tracking down the Corsair info. I'll also see what it takes to convert the Avenger to an FAA version. I know the window in the door on the port side is different

Geo, have a look at the FAA Avenger I did in the PTO GB a couple of years back. Apart from the model, and the modifications, there are some useful reference photos in the thread.

I haven't got anything for any of the subjects in the GB, and as I need to get on with the other 46 Squadron models, I'll be sitting this one out.

Woot! As the young folks say! I have an Accurate Miniatures 1:48 SBD-3 Dauntless I will be building! Going to need lots of help with references on this one as I have exactly zero! Thats provided I can finish my current Lightning, every time I look at it I see more that needs doing...

Thanks Andy, I'll check it out when I get home in the morning
Woot! As the young folks say! I have an Accurate Miniatures 1:48 SBD-3 Dauntless I will be building! Going to need lots of help with references on this one as I have exactly zero! Thats provided I can finish my current Lightning, every time I look at it I see more that needs doing...

Start your thread and let me know what you need Robert. I'm home tomorrow but I'll be in Quesnel for the next 2 days

dear fellow
Finally I'm about to leave me free time and already face the summer even more, this year without vacations for not being able to balance them with the woman so I will go back to the walks, this very disconnected and for this GB I have nothing and the Next thing I have to see if I can catch up ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back