GB-38 1:72 P-51B - Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just an update:
Undercarriage wells are still in progress, about 2 hrs work left in them (approx. 4 days in current available modelling time). Pics up when detailing is finished.

Cheers Wayne!
Will have to do a 'before and after' pic with a second stock kit item... big difference at this stage!

BTW, anyone know if the colours of the piping, etc in attached pics would be accurate for a WW.II era P-51B?

Why doesen't anyone offer a 1/32 resin wheel well set for P51D
imageproxy.jpeg

Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - Difference in P-51B/C Landing Gear vs P-51D/K
DSC08205.jpg

Good work Evan. I'm away from my references at the moment but at first glance I would say that there is too manyvpainted parts in that pic and that there would also be some yellow ZC.

I THINK the skin between the stringers would have been bare aluminum and the stringers yellow ZC and that the spar would also be YZC but can't be sure at this point.

Last edited:
Cheers Andy!
Been reading sites all over the net. Most common opinion seems to be that the majority of B model Mustangs had unpainted wells (to speed up production), save for the main spar which was Yellow Zinc Chromate. This would be ideal as it would ease painting ALOT! :)

Mostly concerned with the smaller detail colours in the above restorations - very suss on the Metallic Blue couplings, for example: pretty sure that is a standardised postwar colour for hydraulics. Any confirmation/ denial would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I agree with Andy re the overall colour of the wheel bays. The painting specs state clear-lacquered alloy, with the front face of the main spar, forming the rear 'wall' of the bay in ZC. Inside of gear and main doors also clear-coated alloy.
And yes, the various colours on the 'plumbing' are post-war I.D. standard..

Cheers guys!

No worries Andy, I knew what you meant (edited my post too - I meant Main spar/ rear wall, not rear spar!)

The subject of P-51 well colours seems to be a minefield ( especially for P-51D Mustangs!)

From research on the net regarding P-51Bs (as far as that is possible with all the conflicting opinions), I agree on the clear lacquered alloy skins and YZC main spar, just not certain on the stringers/ ribs. My impression is these were also excempted from painting when supply of aircraft was critical. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure about the dividing wall between the wells during this time either, which would normally have been a Dull Dark Green in early model Bs/Cs, later Interior Green (ANA611).

The only certain thing for T9+HK is the u/c doors, which definitely look NMF in the photos Paul posted.

As for plumbing, I am *assuming* couplings, etc were originally in their own natural colours, possibly lacquered against corrosion, before the postwar ID standardisation came into being, though certain items were primed in various colours according to net sources. Not sure if these were excempted from painting when production pressure was on or not.

Sounds like much ado about nothing, but it would be a shame trying to make all these things and then go and paint them the wrong colours!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back