GB-47 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk V - WW2 D-Day and After – Western Front (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Username: dneid
First name: Dale
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Hawker Tempest Mk V
Aftermarket Add-ons: I do not expect much in the way of add ons beyond scratch building as needed and maybe tires. Kit decals are lovely, so no additional decals either.
Engraving is lovely. Crisp and not over done. Accurate? I need to review a couple of books, but things look ok out of the box.
Box Lid.jpgSprue Pic 1.jpgSprue Pic 2.jpgSprue Pic 3.jpgSprue Pic 4.jpg

Hey, Andy, I should have said something in the original post. I jumped the gun on starting to prime and initial painting. My resources for Tempy's are limited on my bookshelf. I am surfing around now. I am expecting to find a great deal of the interior green will need to be done over in aluminum. I'll know more tomorrow.

Dale, Tempest cockpits were similar to the Typhoon in colour - matt black above the longeron, with grey green below, and mainly silver frame work.
Wheel bays and inside of the main gear doors were silver, but I have seen grey green bays, and Medium Sea Grey inside of doors.

Beat me to it Terry. It may be useful to Dale as well as myself to clarify the colour of the bulkhead behind the seat. I'm thinking grey green overall but I've also seen what appears to be a black armour plate so am not sure if/where there was a demarcation. Also the seat itself could be all grey green or aluminum as far as I know but I could be wrong.

Good possibility that any bulkhead would still be grey green, with the armour, and head armour, in black. But I'm not sure there was a bulkhead behind the seat though, just the armour plate, although I don't have my scale plans and cutaway to hand, to check. From memory, the back armour covered the width of the fuselage, looking a bit like a bulkhead.
Most seats seem to have been bare aluminium, with a khaki, or sage green quilted back pad, although I have seen pics suggesting the cockpit grey green.
Also, the raised 'gasket' behind the head armour, on the fuselage spine, was matt black, with the remainder of the spine in that area in the camouflage colours.

Eduard calls for the rear bulkhead contained in the aircraft to be grey green with the armor plate in black. I have that painted up. Digging around the web, it seems the most commonly agreed to cockpit scheme is gray green below the rails and flat black above it. Also, the consensus seems to be the frame rails were grey green as well. I decided to go grey green on the main gear and tail wheel bays. So, I will have some pictures by tomorrow of the progress. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I do appreciate you all taking the time.

The consensus on the frames in my digging is that they were mostly aluminum coloured though some photos (of Typhoons) suggest a darker colour so probably grey/green. I don't think grey/green is necessarily wrong as it seems there's no clear evidence either way.

Well, it seems Mr. Murphy is at it. I discovered a short shot on a cockpit side panel (part E40 - see picture). I did email Eduard and they will send me a replacement this week. I expect this will take at least 2 weeks from Europe. So, this one is on hold now. Still no word from ZM if a replacement sprue is even available. STUCK, STUCK, STUCK on both builds. Grrrrrrrr.
Now I am considering postponing both original builds and moving to the Eduard P-51D-10. My dilemma is this is a complex kit AND a natural metal finish bird. I have yet to use the Vallejo model metals to this extent. So, that is a learning process as well. Can I get it done within the time limits of this build? I THINK so, but not completely sure. But, I am leaning that way hard. I am reviewing the kit instructions right now. I will make a decision by tonight.

Short shot.jpg

Surely you can move on to other assemblies Dale. Get the wings together, finish the cockpit frames, etc.

Surely you can move on to other assemblies Dale. Get the wings together, finish the cockpit frames, etc.

Hey, Andy,
That is what I am considering. However, I have the new sprue from ZM already and I am back working on Ta-152. The new sprue is on the way from Eduard, so I think I will be fine on the Tempy as well. Having said all that, man, looking through the P-51 kit was a pure joy. Lots of fiddly things and PE, but it seems like it will make a wonderful build. Well, that is on hold for now.

Still waiting on the replacement parts. I did get a Look IP for the kit and I will use that versus PE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back