GB-51 1/48 F-105D Thunderchief - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Monogram F-105D Thunderchief
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: SuperScale decals set MS481219

I will be building F-105D-5-RE 59-1719 of the 354th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 355th Tactical Fighter Wing, Takhli Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand. It was shot down over Laos on 16 January 1966 by 37mm antiaircraft fire while on a on a photo reconnaissance mission over Xieng Khouang Province, Laos. The pilot, Captain Don C. Wood, was listed as missing in action but A Pathet Lao source interrogated in Laos in 1974 described the recovery of a U.S. airman who ejected from an aircraft hit by flak from the Pathet Lao Regional Headquarters at Phou Kout. The airman reportedly died shortly after capture

This will the first Vietnamese War aircraft that I have built. Not quite sure why that is except that I don't build many jets and the ones I do build tend to be smaller ones from the post war era.

P1013460.jpg

F-105D 59-1719 a.jpg
F-105D 59-1719 b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on the same page with you about the camo paints Karl, don't have any in my stock and that's another reason that I haven't done one before now, but this one is in NMF so I don't have to buy the camo colors. But then I had hoped not to do another NMF for a while. I have a love-hate thing going with NMF. Hate painting them but love the way they look when finished.

Here's the kit, and old, used Monogram I picked op on ebay cheep a few years back. Beat up box, no decals, loose parts (but it looks like everything is there. I also have the 2 seat "Wild Weasel" in the stash and will be doing it in the southeast asia camo when I get around to it. I hope to start cutting plastic today.

P1013452.JPG
P1013453.JPG
P1013454.JPG
P1013455.JPG
P1013456.JPG
P1013457.JPG
P1013458.JPG

And the decals

ms481219.jpg

I'm still using Model Master enamels from my stock which I can't get anymore so this it may force me to start the switch to acrylics. :cry:

I test fitted the main parts and it is going to be a big one!
The fit looked pretty good for the most part except for a slight step in the nose cone/fuselage joint that will have to be dealt with. (pardon the blurry picture)
P1013461.JPG

P1013462.JPG

I went ahead and started some painting, spraying some gray on the cockpit parts. There were 2 ejection seats included with only one needed. Probably a holder over from the wild weasel version. I painted both just in case.

P1013463.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet Glenn, I've done one HB F-105D and for the money, I'd do the Monogram every time. Must be why I have six plus three F/G. This is Pre Operation Look Alike correct and true NMF. Loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back