GB-51 1/48 F-105D Thunderchief - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not going to make it with this one guys, too any other things got in the way. I guess it's destoned for the zombie shelf. Still hope to finish the XP-79, but with the missing gear legs that's not certain.

I'll be out of town Thanksgiving week so that's a whole week lost. I think I'm better off spending any time I might have trying to fabricate the landing gear on the XP-79 and finishing it up and then using any extra time getting started on something for the heavy hitters group build

The 105 is a beautiful aircraft - and an absolute monster. I worked on the 105 and I especially recall spending most of the night to repair the auxiliary fuel tank pressure regulators that were flown in by F-4's baggage pod so the Wild Weasel unit at George AFB could deploy to Europe. After losing an F-105F at Savannah we found that the aux fuel tank regulators on the entire fleet were potentially ready to blow at any time. There was a built-in backup regulator in the units but some AFLC genius had decided to stop doing time compliance change-out, and when you blow air through something for years without it having to function, the back-up regulator is likely to freeze and feed 150 PSI rather than 11 psi to the tanks. I personally concluded that type of failure likely did not cause the Savannah failure but we still had to fix the regulators. Without its bomb bay, belly, or wing drop tanks a F-105 has a nominal endurance of 0.5 hours. It is tough to get from CA to Europe in half hour hops.

Then I had to run up to McConnell AFB to get the Reserve unit's 105's up and running. They did all the training and thus had a busy schedule. We ended up having to remove the regulator from a crashed 105 they had in the junkyard and use parts off of that, but I got them all back in the air.

Good luck with the model. I have a Monogram 1/48D and a G myself.

By the way, the airplane depicted on the box top is now in a museum - in Poland!

Last edited:
The 105 is a beautiful aircraft - and an absolute monster. I worked on the 105 and I especially recall spending most of the night to repair the auxiliary fuel tank pressure regulators that were flown in by F-4's baggage pod to the Wild Weasel unit at George AFB could deploy to Europe. After losing an F-105F at Savannah we found that the aux fuel tank regulators on the entire fleet were potentially ready to blow at any time. There was a built-in backup regulator in the units but some AFLC genius had decided to stop doing time compliance change-out, and when you blow air through something for years without it having to function, the back-up regulator is likely to freeze and feed 150 PSI rather than 11 psi to the tanks. I personally concluded that type of failure likely did not cause the Savannah failure but we still had to fix the regulators. Without its bomb bay, belly, or wing drop tanks a F-105 has a nominal endurance of 0.5 hours. It is tough to get from CA to Europe in half hour hops.

Then I had to run up to McConnell AFB to get the Reserve unit's 105's up and running. They did all the training and thus had a busy schedule. We ended up having to remove the regulator from a crashed 105 they had in the junkyard and use parts off of that, but I got them all back in the air.

Good luck with the model. I have a Monogram 1/48D and a G myself.

By the way, the airplane depicted on the box top is now in a museum - in Poland!
You could keep a thud in the air for half hour. Dang I figured fifteen minutes was good. I worked tankers so you know, after a thud spends all the time taxing and afterburning and climbing with a load of 750's, well there just ain't a lot of room left in that wasp waist beauty after water and all.....

At Tinker AFB the Reserve unit there said that without external tanks they could take off and make one pass at the firing range at Ft. Sill and make it home. A talented careful pilot could squeeze 0.9 hours out of one, but I'd guess it might be a case of "I need a tow" after he landed.

Richard Bach wrote about how with the F-84F it was a point of honor to not land with more than 5 min fuel left. The real experts could manage to get the engine to die when they got to their parking spot. He said that one time he came into the pattern and there was a C-54 yelling about being in a fuel emergency. He agreed to let the transport land first. Later he found out that the C-54 had a minimum fuel of 30 min on board while he had only 5; he could have flamed out 6 times compared to the transport.

At Tinker AFB the Reserve unit there said that without external tanks they could take off and make one pass at the firing range at Ft. Sill and make it home. A talented careful pilot could squeeze 0.9 hours out of one, but I'd guess it might be a case of "I need a tow" after he landed.

Richard Bach wrote about how with the F-84F it was a point of honor to not land with more than 5 min fuel left. The real experts could manage to get the engine to die when they got to their parking spot. He said that one time he came into the pattern and there was a C-54 yelling about being in a fuel emergency. He agreed to let the transport land first. Later he found out that the C-54 had a minimum fuel of 30 min on board while he had only 5; he could have flamed out 6 times compared to the transport.
It's usually that way. Heaves always screaming while the the little guy sits quietly puckering up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back