GB 53 Starts Feb 1 - Watcha Got? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Probably going to do Aleksander Pokryszkin's P-39N using the Revell kit. Haven't found a photo of the kite yet save for the one of him standing on the wing. Decal sheet, profiles and other build should a blue backing under the fuselage stars as well as upper left and lower right wing stars. Some profiles and other builds show wing guns, others no wing guns. The kit has options for both. I'll need to bore out the nose gun troughs as these are only slight impressions.

The Russian sources say that's Pokryszkin's P-39N 290004....

pokr_ai4.jpg

Awesome. I'll go with the above photo. The decals include a whack of stars as shown on the other P-39. I'll cut them up to reflect the above photo. It looks like wing guns and I'll leave off the left gear cover. Can't see blue backing in the above photo but it might be an option

Switching to Russian. I have two kits to choose from. An Academy 1:48 and a ICM 1:72. Both I-16 TYPE 24. Leaning towards the 1:48, it having much bigger pieces. But that 1:72 is so darned cute!. I've done some minor research on the colors (paint) and as always confused. The two kits having color callouts but different. Not surprised! I have downloaded instruction sheets for like models but different mfgs. All different. Especially the interior and the landing gear hardware and associted areas. I do have some color photos of this craft that is housed in the Russian museum. I believe I'll use those as my template. But still scratching my head on matching my Vallejo/Tamiya collection. Some seem close? So i will delay any painting until I see what is being applied in these GB53 builds. Please, if you will, note what the paints are being applied. I have also downloaded many files from various Russian aircraft sites and just have to comb through them as well.

Try Massimo' site Ralph Haus Ralph Haus

Many thanks. I did find this one. It's One that I have to crawl through. My challange is finding the 'available' paints that will match; Vallejo, Tamiya. I can start a new brand for this but would rather find matches in the brands I have. Will watch the builds as they develop and go from there. Interesting though. I read one posting where the 'true' colors are not really known, some just guesses? The net of the article, paint as close as you can get and you will probably be close to the Russian factory outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back