GB-58 1/48 Beaufighter Mk. IF - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Don, nice choice. I mix my own Interior Grey Green from Tamiya paints:
1 Part XF5:1 Flat Green
3 Parts XF21 Sky
1 Part XF65 Field Grey
Just don't want to buy the store out of pant, my main complaint with Tamiya paints, but I'll look at what I have, I may have them all. You would think it's a large enough market to cover well.

if I had not lost this was another of the choices that for this GB had, I have or should have the same plane that steph has put you It looks a good injected in this kit that you put us.
+much encouragement

OK updae, I have Vallejo, AK acrylic, and Mr. color coming but won't be here before Saturday, I couldn't wait.. I went to G and G model store (LHS is about a fifty mile round trip).
One bottle of AK RD293 British cockpit grey green! ONE BOTTASL IN THE WHOLE STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2023-05-03_14-00-27_433-jpeg.jpg

So you can see the difference. If I didn't know better I'd have just been happy with what I had, but, it is a noticeable difference....
The arrow is pointing to the new color.. with the darker being the Tamiya and the lightere more grey being the AK.
2023-05-03_13-18-06_436-jpeg.jpg

2023-05-03_13-18-11_518-jpeg.jpg

Thanks, Here is and update
cockpit is almost done. Yoke and seats have to go in. Also noted a large "hose/pipe" on the right side noted in all the drawings, have to figure that out... My primary resource is
221841153-SAM-Modellers-Datafile-06-the-Bristol-Beaufighter conv 1.jpeg

and it seems pretty good, I have liked anything I have gotten from Richard Franks.
Any way, here is the cockpit as it seems.
2023-05-04_15-21-41_888.jpeg
2023-05-04_15-21-51_295.jpeg
2023-05-04_15-22-52_992.jpeg
2023-05-04_15-22-56_563.jpeg

I have some Kitsworld British seatbelts for Spitfires and Hurricanes coming in Saturday, I think they will do nicely.

I drilled small holes (follow the red arrows in the side of the fuselage where the aerials for the radar (I think go from the fuselage to the horizontal planes. (curtesy Vaillant Wings Publishing)
221841153-SAM-Modellers-Datafile-06-the-Bristol-Beaufighter conv 60.jpeg

2023-05-04_15-22-19_331.jpeg

Looking good Don.
The large "hosepipe" is the heating duct for the Observer's position in the rear fuselage, which was a very light grey or "off white" in colour.
The pilot's seat would not have a cushion, as he wore a "seat type" parachute pack, although the seatback was leather upholstered.
The small holes either side of the rear fuselage were the lead ins for the earlier IFF wires, later replaced by a dipole antenna beneath the rear fuselage.
If you can find my 1/32nd scale build in the first PTO GB, it may provide some help on various details.

Looking good Don.
Note that the four "boxes" in the mid section are the ammo tanks for the 20mm canons, used on the later Mk.VI, and are "generic" parts from Revell's later TF.X kit.
The Mk.1F used ammo drums, which had to be manually changed as required, but no problem, as this area will not be seen once the fuselage is closed up.
There would also be the RF units for the radar, on the port side, again unseen on the model, and the rear-facing radar monitor at the Observer's station - see drawings below.

MTO Build 018.jpg
MTO Build 019.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Don.
Note that the four "boxes" in the mid section are the ammo tanks for the 20mm canons, used on the later Mk.VI, and are "generic" parts from Revell's later TF.X kit.
The Mk.1F used ammo drums, which had to be manually changed as required, but no problem, as this area will not be seen once the fuselage is closed up.
There would also be the RF units for the radar, on the starboard side, again unseen on the model, and the rear-facing radar monitor at the Observer's station - see drawings below.

View attachment 720282View attachment 720283
I knew there was something up with the Ammo boxes, might be able to fix it yet. Thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back