**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good choice Ralph, and a nice kit. I have one in the stash.
I have a number of detail photos of the RAF Museum's example if you need them.
Still trying to verify color of wheel wells. So the photos would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'll sort the pics and post them over the weekend. Wheel wells on all black Defiants was matt lack.
I'll not doubt that they were, normally. However, Airfix, not always being 100% correct on the colors, does have everything black except the wheel cover insides and the wells, which is metallic aluminum. I thought, after pondering with a couple of beers, that perhaps this particular craft N1801, having been pulled from day service, was painted black but the wheel wells and door insides were left as they were before night fighter conversion. Just a thought?

According to my notes ... all Defiants coming off the production line post 22nd November 1940 should have the wheel wells, undercarriage door inners and the upper part of the undercarriage legs in black. However those repainted black seem to have the wheel wells actually aluminum with black overspray.

According to my notes ... all Defiants coming off the production line post 22nd November 1940 should have the wheel wells, undercarriage door inners and the upper part of the undercarriage legs in black. However those repainted black seem to have the wheel wells actually aluminum with black overspray.
That's probably where AIrfix got their info, just did not follow through with the black touch up? Black is easier I suppose, but maybe a compromise; aluminum with a heavy black wash or thinned down black paint coat?

Last edited:
I'll not doubt that they were, normally. However, Airfix, not always being 100% correct on the colors, does have everything black except the wheel cover insides and the wells, which is metallic aluminum. I thought, after pondering with a couple of beers, that perhaps this particular craft N1801, having been pulled from day service, was painted black but the wheel wells and door insides were left as they were before night fighter conversion. Just a thought?
Airfix got lots wrong on my Mustang colours so don't hang your hat on what they say. The pictures that Terry will have is the same plane I posted earlier. Here a my others of the same bird:

Def01.jpg
Def02.jpg
Def03.jpg
Def05.jpg
Def06.jpg
Def08.jpg

As memo serves the kite seems to be repainted a couple of times. I remember her with red code letters. So I wouldn't trust the paint there too much.

The enlarged shot of the N1801 "Coimbatore II" shows that the "fork" of the main landing leg was black as well while the one above isn't.

bp wheel.jpg

Here is an enlarged shot of the wheel of the Polish Defiant EW-A N1684. She wore the standard day camouflage. Also here the fork looks black.

EW-A N1684.jpg

Thanks to all. I'll be breaking the seal on the 'flat' clear for this one, for the final coat. It sure looks flat black! Although not looking 'midnight black'? Nato black maybe?

Ralph, that night paint took a beating so you could go to town with a variety of black/dark grey paint. This is back a page.....

The "Night" black finish of the period had a rather "sooty" appearance, and easily weathered, looking "dusty" and very dark grey. It was later replaced by "Smooth Night", a more durable finish which, although matt, had a slight sheen to it.
The RAFM Defiant is pretty close in overall appearance to what it would have looked like when first painted.

Ralph, send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll get the pics to you at a reasonable size - there are around 40 pics, so a bit much to post here. I'll also try to send the "Warpaint" and "Mushroom" books, if the files aren't too large.

I did a little kicking around the web trying to determine if N1801 was a night fighter 'new' build or a referb from previous service. Not a big deal, but it may help to understand the color choices that Airfix made. I went to their site and found the article decsribing the 'development of the kit; interesting. I went ahead and bought an Airfix membership, hopefully within this I can ask for more info? In the article they do site their sources and maybe there is more to be found? Just costs ~10 US for membership and a welcome kit with a 1/72 model is a coming. That and discounts...

I did a little kicking around the web trying to determine if N1801 was a night fighter 'new' build or a referb from previous service. Not a big deal, but it may help to understand the color choices that Airfix made. I went to their site and found the article decsribing the 'development of the kit; interesting. I went ahead and bought an Airfix membership, hopefully within this I can ask for more info? In the article they do site their sources and maybe there is more to be found? Just costs ~10 US for membership and a welcome kit with a 1/72 model is a coming. That and discounts...
Check the postage if you decide to purchase direct, for us guys down under it's close to A$100 for a big kit. :D

Check the postage if you decide to purchase direct, for us guys down under it's close to A$100 for a big kit. :D
I'll probably never do any kit shopping, unless there is something really new and really wanted, I'll just be happy with info access. The new member kit does come with a 1:72 Scale Gloster Meteor FR.9. and free shipping. Not sure if I'll ever want to build it but one never knows what GB will be hurled my way!

Just did a 'what-if' at Airfix site. Loaded an Avro Anson 1:48 into cart, 35.24 pounds (and that's with club discount!) ($43.88 US) - shipping 30 pounds ($37.35 US), Woahhh! My current online go to HS has it for $49.39 US + $9.95 US shipping. I think I'll keep buying domestically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back