GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What I like is that you seem to have an eye for potential issues and are dealing with them early. Keep it up.
Thanks but not quite, I am a sod for not seeing potential issues until its too late, thats why I thought this kit was great, the two kits arent a great deal more than a single airfix kit. Having two of every is a massive boost, when I screwed up something in the engine bay I already had replacements. Same with canopies, there are two open and two closed, I have used one closed so I have two goes with the open type. It's beginners heaven.

Last edited:
So, this is the state of play so far.. After starting as peer the instructions an then having a think about how you actually get the prop aligned correctly I finally binned the instructions. The back plate/fire wall was installed and I immediately broke one of the supports (far side upper in the pic) due to not paying attention to what was catching on what. No problem, I have a spare, so I prized the back plate out chiseled what remained out and installed the spare. No problem, from what I had remaining from what I chiseled out I had another so I put that in, and broke that one, trying to install the engine. I could install the engine when that support wasnt there because I tried it out but that involves a bit of flexing. So if you look closely you can see I bodged it with a bit of glue around 4mm from the bulkhead. BUT you dont need to have the engine in place, which is an avenue the instructions lead you down, As per the pic I have separated the engine(s) from the gear reduction/ prop shaft assembly on one engine and not even fixed it together on the other. I have done two engines one painted as per instructions in various greys and silver picking out highlights, the other is trying to replicate what you see on wiki about the Merlin, all glossy black and shiny pipes, I will attempt fixing some oil pipes and stuff just to see how that goes, but I only have one set of exhausts to I need to make a choice. As per my previous post about the wing gap, note how there is a gap at front and rear shown by the filler but not a huge gap at the rear and none at the front which is how the kit first assembles without hacking away on the insides. P.S. I need better filler the stuff I have is old and actually harder when set than the plastic of the kit any recommendations?

1720992682428.jpeg

:thumbright:Keep on keeping on Peter. Personally, I use 3M Glazing and Spot Putty. This stuff is the same as Squadron Putty but red and waaaay cheaper. Lay some tape on either side of the gap and spread this on thinly; I use a flat toothpick. Remove the tape immediately and this is where you are going to get some opinions....I use nail polish remover.... dip a Q-tip in this and remove excess putty as soon as the tape comes off. You won't need to sand the join. If the join is too big, fill with plastic sheet or stretched sprue and then putty

1720997289584.png

:thumbright:Keep on keeping on Peter. Personally, I use 3M Glazing and Spot Putty. This stuff is the same as Squadron Putty but red and waaaay cheaper. Lay some tape on either side of the gap and spread this on thinly; I use a flat toothpick. Remove the tape immediately and this is where you are going to get some opinions....I use nail polish remover.... dip a Q-tip in this and remove excess putty as soon as the tape comes off. You won't need to sand the join. If the join is too big, fill with plastic sheet or stretched sprue and then putty

Thanks guys, the filler I am using is about 15 years old, bought by my wife as a prezzie when she bought me a Hawker Hurricane I took it to Germany started making it and the whole thing got smashed in the car boot (trunk) due to some heavy breaking on the autobahn. I am still using some of the paints though and gradually improving my "kit".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back