German aircraft designs in Argentina 1946-1960

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dewoitine had a price over his head after he made Fighters for the Vichy goverment. So he accept to come for a relatively small price. He have big plans however, he want to build a entire factorie devoted to his designs like the hd-720, but Argentione Gov. never released the founds.

Aditional images.

Pulqui II glider proto:

Imagen32.jpg

Windtunnel model.

Imagen40.jpg

V1.

Imagen41.jpg

Imagen42.jpg

ia331zu3.jpg

Kurt Tank's Ta 183/I wind tunnel model. Interesting to compare this with the Pulqui wind tunnel model above.

And to highlight the differences between Tank's earlier Fw P.VI and later Ta 183/II projects. The Ta 183/II is certainly pulqui looking.

From a 1954 book titled 'Turbine and Jet-propelled Aircraft Powerplants' by James P. Eames, with some glaring(?) mistakes.

1080 km/h was the top speed in the third Pulqui II proto with a slight nose down, but the derwent was very pressed at that stage, it definately needed a more powerful engine.

FMA IA-35.

huan4mu7.jpg

Designed by Paul Klages and Kurt Tank.
This was a very simple multipurpose twin engine transport. Its design have some inspiration in the projeckt "FW-206".

fmaia35argentinadrawinglm5.jpg

His first flight took place in 1952 and 110 aircraft were manufactured in 5variants.

I A 35-Ia: Trainer

I A 35-1b: Bomber/attack trainer with reflex gunsight and bombsight, 400 kg of bombs and two fixed .50 MG in nose.

I A 35-II: 10 seat transport

I A 35-III: Ambulance aircraft with 5 beds.

I A 35-IV: 3 seat photo recce aircraft with Fairchil 225 cameras.

huan1kl2.jpg

Characteristics IA-35 Huanquero.

Wingspan : 19,35 m

Lenght: 14,88 m

Height : 4,5 m

Wing surface: 42 square meters.

Powerplant: 2 x 660hp I.A.R-19 nine cilinders simple row radials.

Max speed: 400 km/h at 4200 meters.

Landing speed: 128 km/h

Empty weight 3,670 kg.

I was first introduced to the IA-35 by the 1961 edition of The Observer's Book of Aircraft!

Charles, the text mentions the experimental version known as the Constancia II with Turbomeca Bastan turboprops. Is this the beginnings of the Guarani I ?

I always thought that the IA-35 looked like, from some angles, a modern day version of the Dornier Do-17. Interesting to know that Tank had a hand in its design.

From World Aircraft Illustrated, by John Underwood also 1961.

Beautiful scans :p

Yes, the Constancia was prototype for the turboprop Guarani I, but in fact the GI never entered in production, the G-II did.

FMA Guarani I.

2eef0nk.gif

This aircraft was propelled by 2 x Turbomeca Bastan 870 hp and his max speed was about 445 km/h.

One from 'Janes' (1962), and the other from a 'childrens' encyclopedia circa 1963.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, I am only amazed by this paragraph.

"Argentina is one the smallest South American countries to have an aircraft industrie"

At the time of the printing of those books (1960s) there was only two South american countries manufacturing aircraft, Brazil and Argentina, so no much to choose between smallest or bigger.

And the word "small" applied to a country with near 3 million square kilometers...:confused: , crazy.

Aniway.

IA-41:

6csjcx2.jpg

Reimar Horten design.
The desire for a training sailplane with side-by-side seating had been expressed by several soaring clubs. This led to the production of four I. Ae. 41 aircraft. These 18 meter machines, benefited from all our previously hard earned experience, were without faults and very simple to fly. A tandem undercarriage with extra soft suspension, made landings easy. They were stable and behaved well in turbulent air, in contrast to their predecessors, which would tip stall under similar conditions.

Heinz Scheidhauer, who had followed me to Argentina, made soaring history on October 30th, 1956, when he became the first person to cross the Andes in a sailplane. To start he flew the I. Ae. 41 from Cordoba to Bariloche, a distance of over 1,000 km in aerotow!

The Ho XVc in Europe

Four aircraft somewhat similar to the I. Ae. 41 were built in Germany in the fifties. One was completed in Türbingen, another in Pappenheim. The third remained uncovered in a hanger at Klippeneck for ten years, before it was completed by an "Old-timer" in Günzburg. There whereabouts of the fourth, built in Mannheim, is unknown.

ho_xv_c_plans.jpg

More pictures here.

The Horten IA-41 URUBU (Ho XVc)

Interesting, some further developments of German paper projects.
Always interesting how much the MiG-17 and the FJ-3 Fury look like one
of the German Fighters I have seen. Scary in fact as it has been proven to
work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back