German B-24 infiltrating US B-24 formations? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What aircraft did it?
There aren't very many photos of captured aircraft being used "operationally" by KG 200. We have no knowledge of what was really done with them. Do you really think the LW would take pics of a captured aircraft being flown in its original markings making the crews guilty of war crimes?
We can account for just about every allied aircraft that the Germans returned to flying condition and they were all given a stammkennzeichen which was prominently displayed along with national markings and other special markings. I hesitate to say every aircraft because we're talking Luftwaffe seventy years ago, but I'm as sure as anyone can be that all the B-17s and B-24s returned to flight can be accounted for. They were not that numerous. Why would they be?
Agree to a point - we could account for them be we don't know if they maintained those paint schemes or markings while in "captivity."
I keep seeing what amounts to hearsay, easily explained by simple if well meaning misidentifications from extremely anxious and stressed young men on combat operations. What I don't see is any hard evidence in the face of a lot of evidence to the contrary.
The 1943 report on the first page of this thread is pretty accurate and collaborated by other witnesses.

in 1943 it was practical to use long range Ju 88A's on high alt recon as US fighter awareness really was not apparent on deep penetration as of yet. KG 200 I feel did not provide this type of work as it had other stealth evening work to perform during the war on all fronts the LW was involved in.......

Just because I'm really curious I emailed Robert "punchy" Powell a pilot who was with the 352nd FG to see if he remembers any such incident. We've talk before and he's a wealth of information.

Also, stories of Curtis H75a's (III/JG77) and Dewonite D.250's being used in combat (JG101, JG103, and JG105)

III/JG77 only switched to 109s after the small amount of ammo the H75A had

in 1943 it was practical to use long range Ju 88A's on high alt recon as US fighter awareness really was not apparent on deep penetration as of yet. KG 200 I feel did not provide this type of work as it had other stealth evening work to perform during the war on all fronts the LW was involved in.......

Quite so Eric, and GM-1 equipped Me 410s.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back