German Jets Over Normandy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomsong3320

Airman
Jul 22, 2006
Lady Lake Fl USA
What was the nearest me262 unit nearest to normandy in june july 1944 could these ac have an impact over the landing.

If I recall correctly the 262 wasn't deployed in service till September 1944.

The real grace was the fact that V-1s were not fully deployed even though the commander of the launch units wanted to mount chance strikes against the port of Southhampton from whence the D-Day Allies came. Hitler had expressly forbidden it. !!??

Eisenhower wrote later in his bookCrusade in Europethat he was convinced that Operation Overlord would have failed if the V-1s had been deployed against Portsmouth and Southhampton and the landing beaches themselves.

That is not true either.

The first unit to recieve the Me-262 was the Erprobungskommando 262 (EKdo262), III./ZG 26 in April of 1944 at Lechfield, Germany. They were to test the aircraft under combat conditions.

The Me-262 scored its first victory on July 26, 1944 by shooting down a Mosquito.

September 1944 was when the first regular units recieved the Me-262 and that was Kommando Nowotny at Achmer.

Below is a quote and link to a very good site about the Me-262.

The first experimental fighter unit to use the new jet was Erprobungskommando 262 (EKdo262), III./ZG 26. The unit formed at Lechfeld on December 19, 1943. EKdo 262 was composed of two Staffeln and one Stab unit. The unit received their first Me 262 in April of '44 and scored their first victory of a Mosquito on July 26, 1944. By September, elements of EKdo 262 went on to join Kommando Nowotny and III./EJG2 at Lechfeld.

The first active unit to use the Me 262 was Kommando Nowotny which was formed at Achmer in September of 1944 and headed by Major Walter Nowotny. The unit became operational on the 3rd of October and claimed their first kill, a B-24, on October 7th.
Me 262: Stormbirds at War - History 2

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Yeap they lost 28 Me-262s. Granted 8 to 10 of them were lost due to accidents and a number due to mechanical failure such as engine failure.

That sucked... Dying from engine failure without getting to see much action.

how easy is turning and engine on or off in mid flight is this a practiced emergency manuver or an oops type thing?Not a joke but a real qestion.

tomsong3320 said:
how easy is turning and engine on or off in mid flight is this a practiced emergency manuver or an oops type thing?Not a joke but a real qestion.

To some degree this depends on the engine and to a higher degree on the circumstances of engine flameout (engine overrewed or damaged usually are worse conditions to restart an engine):
Jumo-004B: little problem
BMW-003A: not possible
BMW-003E: problem but possible

Of course, altitude and speed left is concernable also as was pilot skill. One thing to learn was that the jet engines needed a lot of time to spool up and for acceleration, so a sensible throttle management was a necessarity, at least for the Jumo-004B (to a lesser degree also for the BMW-003).

Depends on the aircraft and engine. In most modern planes today you turn one engine off and you can still either fly the plane or land it pretty easily (at least when compared to the older aircraft.)

One problem with the early jet aircraft was the loss of thrust due to one engine failure.

Many did not recover there aircraft and crashed.

1. dude improve ur grammar... I'm a 12 year old boy and every little ***** in my class has better grammar than you

2. I guess the BMW 801 and DB601 can do a mid-air engine restart better cause they will be able to turn the engine on before they lose too much speed and bite the dust; the Engines of the day were not powerful enough, they would take long to start then they have to be careful with the throttle,

imagine urself in a situation where u are flying a 262 have 10 enemies eager to get their first jet kill and u turned ur engines off... u wont have time to get back, might aswell set ur engines ablaze and bail

All I can add is that as for jet engines, General Galland mentioned to me in the 1980s that once they got the 262 up to combat speed they never "fiddled with the throttles" and that if smoothest power meant one engine was actually at a lower power setting than the other that was OK.

dude improve ur grammar... I'm a 12 year old boy and every little ***** in my class has better grammar than you

he'll improve his grammar when you actually type "you", "your" and "you're" because his posts are readable, "u" and "ur" are very, very annoying......

I love the way people on here argue about each others English skills. There's only a couple of people on here who actually write properly. The majority of you don't write properly, including you lanc. However, I do agree that tomsongs posts are pathetic.

i know i don't use proper english on the boards but i can't be arsed to give everything capital letters and all the full stops, but damn it i'm better than "u" and "ur".........

because his posts are readable, "u" and "ur" are very, very annoying......
but damn it i'm better than "u" and "ur".........
And since this is the way I type and converse here, I suppose that I annoy the piss out of u and regard urself better than me because u use full words rather than substituting shorter versions of words that are too long to begin with in the first place???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back