gigantic propeller

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 10x.jpg
    10x.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 147
There's one on the M4 eastbound around junction 10'ish if I recall, has anyone seen that - it's gigantic; you have to be careful to keep an eye on the road it's so eye-catching.

Edit: here it is, it doesn't look nearly so intimidating in picture, it action, it doesn't so much spin, it's more like a big, lazy swoop, if that makes sense

Wind Turbine Success

Those huge ass things are sprung up all over here in Germany. I have a rather large park about a 10 minute drive from house. On most days you can see the props turning from behind the hills.

There are literally hundreds of those on various wind farms in North central Iowa. Acres and acres of farmland is now producing electricity.

Instead of crops. Each generator takes up about an acre of ground when you factor in the area each generator sits on, plus the access road needed to get to it, plus a few feet of maintained ground on each side of the road. My girlfriends father is a 3rd generation farmer in Carroll, Iowa. He and her Grandfather looked into leasing land to the windfarms, but they had to give up way more land than they felt comfortable with, basically for as long as the windfarm companies wanted.

so are these wind farms making a dent in the corn belt real estate or is the space they take up insignificant, by comparison?

Pretty small by comparison Colin. I'd be surprised if it is more than 1-2 percent of our total farm land in the state, if even that much.

Here is a pic of the mian body of the turbine we see commonly in Iowa. Imagine how big the blades are compared to how small the main body looks up in the air.

Attachments

• 205300591_f2acb30e0b.jpg
    205300591_f2acb30e0b.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 153
And I thought Denmark had big windmills :shock:

There are literally hundreds of those on various wind farms in North central Iowa. Acres and acres of farmland is now producing electricity.

I remember when flying over OK and NM seeing quite a few wind farms... pretty impressive seeing them from the air flying by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back