Gillespie Field Airshow

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been in one of those babies, with Russian instruments at all.
An L-39 at the Cunderdin Easter Airshow
dcp09303qm.jpg

And a Mustang
dcp09334gg.jpg

The L-39 looks a lot better than the L-29, but its not much faster, the L-29 is a little more maneuverable. My father-in-law and I along with the guys who own some L-29s and 39s have done some mock dogfighting, what a kick! :D

"Pops" went out against a couple guys in a L-39 (he was in a 29). Mind you my father-in-law is retired USAF, flew all kinds of stuff. Anyway in about two minutes he smoked these guys about 3 times. Today the L-29 we mainly get to play with sports an L-39 kill under the nose! 8)

FLYBOYJ said:
wmaxt said:
Here is a site with some airshow pictures.

http://elcentro.airshowjournal.com/2005/

wmaxt

I was there with the owner of the L-29. We actually broke down on Sat. night when servicing the brake system. We got if fixed and gave rids the next day to personnel who helped put on the airshow.

That's cool! I don't get to airshows anymore, my ability to handle heat and to travel is limited now. I really miss them!

wmaxt said:
FLYBOYJ said:
wmaxt said:
Here is a site with some airshow pictures.

http://elcentro.airshowjournal.com/2005/

wmaxt

I was there with the owner of the L-29. We actually broke down on Sat. night when servicing the brake system. We got if fixed and gave rids the next day to personnel who helped put on the airshow.

That's cool! I don't get to airshows anymore, my ability to handle heat and to travel is limited now. I really miss them!

Thats too bad wmaxt - I might be doing a few more before the summer ends, I always post photos for ya:)

evangilder said:
You coming to Camarillo in August, FBJ? Our show is August 27-28.

Thay's a possibility, it seems the team likes to have a permanent crewchief, they told me they wanted me at the "bigger" airshows, and I would consider Camarillo one of them. I'm definately going to be at Thermal (Cockeran) in the fall. :)

You definitely don't want to be there in the summer. It is an appropriate name. The last time I was at thermal airport it was 123 fahrenheit in the desert. On the tarmac it was something this side of hell!

Lemme know if you make it to Camarillo, I could give you a behind the scenes tour, where you can see stuff we don't have on the museum floor. Last year there were 3 mustangs and 2 mitchells flying. We also had the Zero, Yak-3 and Hellcat fly with the Martlett. It took a few days to wipe the smile off my face.

evangilder said:
You definitely don't want to be there in the summer. It is an appropriate name. The last time I was at thermal airport it was 123 fahrenheit in the desert. On the tarmac it was something this side of hell!

Lemme know if you make it to Camarillo, I could give you a behind the scenes tour, where you can see stuff we don't have on the museum floor. Last year there were 3 mustangs and 2 mitchells flying. We also had the Zero, Yak-3 and Hellcat fly with the Martlett. It took a few days to wipe the smile off my face.

Yep - Thermal, been there lots of times :onfire: Remember, I worked in Mojave, it gets only 112 there! :coldcold:

If I make Camarillo - Definitely! - Look Forward to it! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back