Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

1634725882632.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

View attachment 645470
I wonder if someone just out of the photo on the left has a hold of her arm to pull her backwards away from the spinning prop when it fires up? Good idea.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The only time I have propped an airplane with chocks in place was when I had no intention of flying it,

Note also that the engine turns "backwards," so she is grabbing the "wrong" blade.

Main thing I see is, "What are you doing working around an airplane with that cap on, young lady?"

The only time I have propped an airplane with chocks in place was when I had no intention of flying it,

Note also that the engine turns "backwards," so she is grabbing the "wrong" blade.

Main thing I see is, "What are you doing working around an airplane with that cap on, young lady?"
Knowing what the brakes are like on the early Austers, I wouldn't trust them.

She's pulling the correct blade through if it's Gypsy / Blackburn powered and she's intending on starting it with the next swing. If not, many starting procedures call for priming with 4 blades forward and then 2 backwards.

I think the injury rate among those who should start the plane, was dramatically higher than other ground crew members. 1 millisecond and his hand was cut by propellers.
Its not as bad as it seems. They usually cough a couple of times before really getting going.
The only injuries I've seen have been from when the engine 'kicks back' and turn backwards for a couple of blades and breaks a hand/wrist. And then I've only seen it happen twice in 10 years.

OLd story about the two Canadian bush pilots. One was propping the airplane as the other sat at the controls. The blade caught on his coat and spun him around before tossing him aside. His partner killed the engine, ran over and said, "Pierre, all you all right? Speak to me! Speak to me!"

Pierre raised his head groggily and replied, "Speak to you? I just passed you half a dozen times and you never even said hello to me once."

I've done a couple of 985's on a C-45 before...Needed to flop in the back floor for a bit after we started to taxi. If they had been fresh overhauls, couldn't have done it.

I've done a couple of 985's on a C-45 before...Needed to flop in the back floor for a bit after we started to taxi. If they had been fresh overhauls, couldn't have done it.
With a rope?

I've done the CJ-6 once this way, and have seen a photo of a Corsair being started with a rope and three or four guys pulling it

Its not as bad as it seems. They usually cough a couple of times before really getting going.
The only injuries I've seen have been from when the engine 'kicks back' and turn backwards for a couple of blades and breaks a hand/wrist. And then I've only seen it happen twice in 10 years.
Well, from an untrained and outsider mind / eye, that's really horrible. And thank you for your explaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back