Gloster Meteor Tires Size

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N99JH

Airman
Jul 28, 2021
Hello All

I am a new member here and hoping to find some help.

I am designing a 1/4 scale turbine(s) powered model of the Gloster Meteor F.8 and need to know what diameter were the Nose and Main wheels for the purpose of machining a set of scale, retractable landing gear system.

From measuring the wheels of a 1/48 scale, Airfix model it appears that the nose wheel is 22" and the main wheel is 31". Is this correct?

Weeks of searching the Internet yielded no results. Can someone here help, please?

Thanks

Joshua

Attachments

• h04.jpg
    h04.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 43
  • 914 08.jpg
    914 08.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 47
I've checked what documentation I have with no luck, even the original T7 'Pilot's Notes' make no mention of wheel size. I did find a document reference: "A.P. 2337 Aircraft wheels, tyres and brakes" in the Pilot Notes, but I've no immediate ideas where you might find that doc.

Found an old forum thread where somebody was looking for a copy, apparently the UK National Archives have one, but if not digitized it would require somebody to go there: Anyone have a copy of A.P. 2337?

Thanks for your efforts. The National Archives do indeed have a copy of A.P. 2337 but I already found out that it is not yet digitized.

I just bought a book by Karaya titled: Gloster Meteor (1/72) Detail Scale Aircraft Drawings. It seems to have extremely high quality 3-views, so - I will just use that.

Thanks. I have this drawing in a book titled: Aircraft Archives, post WWII jets, Vol. 3

The drawing appears to be pretty accurate but the scale is skewed due to the need to fit it onto A4 sheet.

There is a Meteor on static display - not far from me - I could head out there with a tape measure one day?

RAAF_(A77-871)_Gloster_Meteor_WK791_F8_gate_guardian_at_RAAF_Base_Wagga.jpg

Thank you so very much. This will be fantastic. Please measure the tire diameter of both the nose wheel and main wheel. While at it, may I also ask that you measure the diameter of the engine nacelle intake and tail pipe, please?

Hi Joshua.

Drove out with a tape measure this afternoon.

Good news is the park bench is still there.
Bad news is the Meteor is gone.

Looks like they're laying a better concrete surface for the exhibits. Popped over to the enclosed museum to find out when it'll be back - but they've closed down due to COVID.

Sorry. :(

5.jpg

Does anyone know what are these yellow rods sticking above and below the wing?

Attachments

• n08.jpg
    n08.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23
  • n09.jpg
    n09.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 40
  • n19.jpg
    n19.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 26
I.F.F antenna and / or radar antenna ( on the wings), depending on aircraft Mark number.
That looks like the F.Mk.8 at Norwich, so the underside rod is probably the I.F.F,, with the wing rods either radio or secondary I.F.F.
Twin rods on each wing on the night-fighter variants, such as NF.!! or NF.14, were radar azimuth antenna.

They actually flew with those rods?

Yep. But check references for the Mk number you intend to build, as the equipment fit could differ from Mark to Mark, and also depending on role.

I have never seen any picture of a meteor in flight with those IFF rods present.

Gloster Meteor gear info. Mains: tire 29 1/2" diameter, 9 3/4" thick, wheels 16 3/4 diameter. Nose: 26" diameter, 7 3/4' thick, wheel 14 1/4" diameter.
Hawkeye

The Meteor in the picture looks like a hybrid. It is basically a T.Mk.7 that was later converted to a drone or night fighter with the addition of a section lengthening the nose.

Can you get more history on this plane?

Hawkeye

The Meteor in the picture looks like a hybrid. It is basically a T.Mk.7 that was later converted to a drone or night fighter with the addition of a section lengthening the nose.

Can you get more history on this plane?
Gloster Meteor T 7 WF877
History:

Constructed as a Meteor T.7 by Gloster at Hucclecote, Glos. 18 July 1951
Taken on Strength/Charge with the Royal Air Force with s/n WF877. November 1953
39 Squadron operating NF.13 Night Fighters in defense of Suez.
Struck off Strength/Charge from the Royal Air Force. April 1964
Delivered to Martin-Baker Ltd, Chalgrove.
Converted to a Meteor T.7(mod). While with Martin-Baker modified for ejector seat trials whereby the canopy enabled in-flight ejections (both dummy and live) from the rear cockpit. June 1966
To Flight Refuelling Ltd, Tarrant Rushton, Dorset.
Used as a ground running test bed for overhauled Derwent engines.
1 February 1974
To Torbay Aircraft Museum, Higher Blagdon, Devon.
16 March 1989
To Aces High Ltd, North Weald, Epping with c/r G-BPOA (GLOSTER METEOR T7, WF877).
5 June 1996
Civil registration, G-BPOA, cancelled.
On behalf of the owner stored with/at Duxford Airport, Duxford, Cambridgeshire/Cambs, England.
To Pima Air Museum USA March 2019 Recon nose removed and NF nose mock-up constructed. To be given Israeli markings.

Attachments

• Torbay 9-13-76.jpg
    Torbay 9-13-76.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 27
  • North Weald UK 7-1-90.png
    North Weald UK 7-1-90.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Duxford Sept 2009.jpg
    Duxford Sept 2009.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 25
  • WF 877 1 39 squadron.jpg
    WF 877 1 39 squadron.jpg