Good trim reads? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is there any good source where i can read about trimming in detail.
Cause it's supposed to let u fly straight and level without much input.
Rudder and aileron is no prob,but that elevator...Frustating.Trim a notch down,it goes down,trim a notch up,it goes up.one notch!
I play with throttle a bit to see if it helps,but nada,niks,nothing.

This book is a good place to start for trim posistions.....

Attachments

• trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 116
I have the same problem, but once, in the P-51, I got it trim for several minutes. Yay!

I think it helps to lower prop pitch for one, in triming an aircraft, and to lower your speed.

But it IS possible, in the game, even if it lasts only ten minutes. :)

The trouble is the wind changes in the game so much, that a little bit of difference can throw off the trim, or the plane speeds up, a little in flight, and that also throws it off.

It can be frustrating, but as least it sorta works.

Very funny,lesofprimus ,I must say,that was very original. Soundbreaker Welch? ,yes it will only work till conditions change,and you will constantly have to correct,but I don't even fly for 3 seconds,although i do use the trim wheel constantly to stay at the same altitude,that works.I am able to do it with some of the planes,butI'm flying the mig3 1940 and the f4f3 in campaigns and struggle a bit on the long flights.I find myself concentrating on it so much I don't stay in formation.I start my campaigns from the lowest rank.It's easier to follow them than it is to navigate and lead them.

Hmmm...I thought it was funny...actually, I still do...

As far as trimming an aircraft, each aircraft has it's own characteristics in response to trim. You can't just use a generic formula but need to find what the requirements are for the machine you are operating. The combination of altitude, pitch, throttle and trim degrees on a P-51D will not work on a La-7 or a Fw190A-8.

Personally, I hardly ever use it unless I am on a long-range mission. Otherwise, I read my gauges to keep my crate on course. Otherwise, I find my attention diverted to adjusting the trim more than I am flying. And in a warplane in a combat zone, that can prove to be fatal.

I did much better tonight. Interesting how I need to trim in combat as well for the different speeds.I think maybe my joystick sensitivity(logitech attack 3)doesn't make it very easy.I red somewhere u should be able to trim ur plane in a few seconds.
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=0
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1X=0 27 38 52 63 69 75 83 88 93 100 0
1Y=0 28 44 55 62 70 79 88 93 96 100 0

1Z=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
The underlined are my x and y settings,and I use my mousewheel for elevator trim.

I'm buying an x52 pro sometime soon and just wonder if it will be any different than it is now. My current joystick has a deadzone and just a little touch behaves quite aggresively.

What works for me is, after take off, trimming rudder first (on a slider/rotary) till the ball stays in the middle, then trim the elevator (on a slider/rotary). Gain some speed and navigate till you are approaching or have reached cruising speed. You set the throttle to 90% and fly level, trim rudder, trim elevator, fine trim rudder, fine trim elevator and finally add a few key-clicks for the aileron trim.

On a single engine plane, if your speed changes, you'll need to trim, again and again.

I think the Hellcat is a good plane in the game for not trimming much. It has a really stable gun platform, easier to handle than the P-51.

I mostly still fly the old planes,as I'm playing campaign mode and haven't actually started flying online yet.(will soon,what's up with hyperlobby?)

I've tried the newer planes Saturday night and the response is a lot better. I guess I haven't really given the technological advances a thought.gave me better understanding over why some planes are easier to keeps straight than others.:)

Well, some planes have no trim, some only elevator (German planes). That might be one thing you're encountering?

I use a X52 with Rudder pedals. Almost all my flying is hands on the stick and throttle, as i have everything set up that way. Its a lot easer to set what you need to as compaired to lookin down at the key board during a dogfight. I highly recommend a X52.

The X-Y axis on the X52 is real smooth and won't wear you down on a real active mission. I've had quite a few other j-sticks over the years, but I have to say the X52 is the smoothest I've owned. You can also lock the X-Y, to prevent it from turning, if/when you get the rudder pedal set, too.

I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed if you got yourself an X52.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back