GOODBYE PATROL SQUADRON 65!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I actually know someone that dropped a wrench in a Intermediate Gearbox and mind you it has a screen cover and only about an inch wide. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

See how good of a fisherman they can become to get it out!

You have to take care of it yourself most of the time anyhow. When I gave over my aircraft to maintenance I norally would find tools in places that they should not be and so forth. I actually called my aircraft "The Toolbox". To bad they would not let me paint that on the nose.

FLYBOYJ said:

Not yet anyway...
Groen Brothers has received $3 million from the federal government to study converting C-130 cargo planes into giant gyrodynes (gyrocopters with jet engines at the rotor tips). The company says it will be a cheap and easy way to supply the Army with heavy-lift VTOL capability...

GBA JOINS GEORGIA TECH TEAM IN JHL PROPOSAL FOR US ARMY

A "Best Value Team" led by Georgia Institute of Technology, a top five U.S. graduate engineering research university with the top public aerospace engineering program in the country, including a world renowned rotary wing technology program, developed and presented a proposal in July to the United States Army for the US Military's Joint Heavy Lift vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft Concept Design Analysis (CDA) competition. The team included GBA along with Shafer Corporation, one of this nation's most capable systems engineering and integration technology firms, and Dancila LLC., developer of important new piezoelectric, flow control, and "smart-material" technology.

The proposal based upon the "gyrodyne" concept long espoused by GBA and extensively researched by Georgia Tech was not, regrettably, awarded one of five contracts worth roughly $3 million for CDA development. However, in the debriefing by Army and NASA personnel following the decision, we were encouraged by the reception our proposal had received and by the potential for future participation in the project. The proposal called for using a C130 Hercules as a test vehicle, fitting it with a tip-jet powered rotor designed by the Team. GBA continues to promote the gyrodyne concept and is pleased to have had the support of Georgia Tech, Shafer Corporation and Dancila LLC. Lockheed Martin, manufacturer of the Hercules, and Rolls-Royce, manufacturer of the engines in the C130 had pledged support had the proposal been chosen.
http://www.groenbros.com/whatsnew/nest.htm

Now won't that be something!

I did an article on this one that appeared in Aviation Heritage Magazine in 1993, I had the only surviving maintenance manual, got a great price on E Bay...

Attachments

• xc-142-0862_05_186.jpg
    xc-142-0862_05_186.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 157
  • xc-142-0862_12-s_523.jpg
    xc-142-0862_12-s_523.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 158
  • xc-142-1758_005_196.jpg
    xc-142-1758_005_196.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 172
XC-142A - it was like a baby C-130. It viabrated too much and basically shook itself apart. There were 4 or 5 built before the project was cancelled, NASA operated one into the late 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back