GOODBYE PATROL SQUADRON 65!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
I spent 6 years in the USNR, 5 1/2 were with VP-65. We operated P-3Cs that I actually built during the 1980s. It was recently decided to de-commission all reserve VP squadrons. When I arrived at Point Mugu last Thursday, I found out the last P-3 was flown out the day before. Times are changing, good-bye VP-65, 35 years of service without a major mishap! :cry:

Patrol Squadron Six Five (VP-65) has been operating in Ventura County since it's establishment in 1970. The Tridents currently fly the P-3C Update III version of the Lockheed Martin Orion, the U.S. Navy's standard long range maritime patrol aircraft. The P-3C is specifically designed to search, detect, track and destroy enemy submarines. Secondary missions include mine laying, shipping surveillance, reconnaissance, search and rescue, and drug enforcement operations. VP-65 is one of seven reserve patrol squadrons assigned to Commander Reserve Patrol Wing, based out of Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base, Willow Grove PA.

Supporting both the Atlantic and Pacific fleets, VP-65's mission is two-fold. The first is to support the regular Navy in fleet operations and exercises around the world. The second is to maintain combat readiness for rapid mobilization to meet national defense requirements. The highly skilled and motivated aircrews, maintainers, and support personnel maintain proficiency in a multitude of combat mission areas such as undersea warfare, surface warfare, surveillance, intelligence collection, aerial photography and counter-narcotics.

VP-65 most recently supported operations in the Caribbean and Western Pacific, including Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Scotland, Belize and Japan.

Team Trident is comprised of 304 active duty and Reserve personnel. A majority of these people live in the local area, however, some commute from points as distant as El Paso, Phoenix, Atlanta and Denver to meet their commitment to train and operate at least one weekend each month and one 16-day detachment per year.

For aircrews this commitment is often much more. These "Citizen Sailors" come from all walks of life and are the key ingredient in keeping VP-65 a fully trained and operational Maritime Patrol Squadron

Attachments

• vp_65_p2_2_175.jpg
    vp_65_p2_2_175.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 340
  • vp-65_p2_1_123.jpg
    vp-65_p2_1_123.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 325
  • vp65p3_2_870.jpg
    vp65p3_2_870.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 331
  • vp65p3_1_158.jpg
    vp65p3_1_158.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 339
  • vp-65_joe_cir_213.jpg
    vp-65_joe_cir_213.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 436
  • vp65logo_17nov2000_561.jpg
    vp65logo_17nov2000_561.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 342
Yep!

Here's some more stuff.....

The Tridents in 1997 deployed to the Western Pacific, including Japan, Korea, Guan, Thailand, Malaysia, the Indian Ocean, the Persian Gulf, and Central and South America supporting a myriad of Fleet Operations and Exercises, demonstrating the flexibility and mobility of our Naval Reserve Force. Of note, VP-65 was the first patrol squadron to operationally deploy with the new AVX-1 "Cluster Ranger" electro-optical camera system. Their successful employment of this new combat system earned recognition as Commander Task Force 72 Crew of the Month for May 1997. In 1998, Team Trident was the first West Coast VP Squadron to deploy to the Caribbean. Crews flew from Puerto Rico and Panama supporting counter-narcotics operations. One of our crews was responsible for a $45M cocaine interdiction, the largest of the year.

Yep - No more P-3 Reserve Squadrons!!!

When we got that 97' drug bust we got a "fast boat" to surrender to the Coast Guard. We flew over them and opened our bomb bays (had no bombs or weapons). The drug runners saw that and just gave it up!

I know my father feels the same way about the Huey and I will feel the same way about the Blackhawk. You get attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back