Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Someone I knew, who flew P-3s also called the A3D "all three dead" and said it was almost impossible to for any of the crew to exit in flight. Once I was an observer on the USS Hancock for a week in 1960 and got to see A3Ds land.
The emergency egress for the A3 was the cockpit access ladder/chute in the belly just behind the nose gear. IIRC, if opened from outside, the chute would drop down and the steps would flop out, but if opened from within, the chute would drop and the steps would remain stowed.
The Vigilante RAG had two "whales" which they used as hacks, and whenever they carried somebody who was not an assigned crew member they had to do egress drills, which I got to watch a couple times. Not confidence inspiring. They'd lay a mat on the tarmac under the access port, then the "designated victim", in full regalia, helmet, parachute, and all, would have to drop the ladder, climb up the narrow access trunk, retract the ladder/chute, find their seat and strap in/plug in. Then the instructor (usually a PR) would trigger the bailout bell, and the trainee would unbuckle/unplug, proceed to the egress port, drop the chute, and hurl themself down the trunk/chute onto the mat.
Alternate (ditching) egress was an impossibly small hatch in the aft portion of the canopy. Bumps and scrapes were the order of the day.

Last edited:
Yes. Possibly career ending. Definitely ending carrier flying.
If a pilot is having problems that the "bat man" doesnt know about, is he justified in ignoring a "wave off" because he knows thats as good as it will get? (just a thought, he didnt lose the plane and crew)

What I saw on his first approach, was very jerky, non smooth corrections and he arrived too high, took the wave off.. Second approach was same lack of smooth corrections, almost over correcting while coming in. He was too low this time. The third approach was the same, and was also too high but he dropped it in and caught a wire. The Hancock's deck was small for an A3D.

I just watched the one you linked. I don't know which version it was, but I sure appreciate you putting it up.

In my own firefighting training, they had us watch Ejection Decision, which your link brought to mind for me, especially with its emphasis on PTFO of a bad corner. I don't know why they had us non-pilots watch that, but I think there's a lot to learn about many issues in life that can benefit from studying these sorts of snapshot decisions.

Aviation-specific, I learned a lot more about the complexities of a carrier landing, so thanks for the brainfood.

That's odd, I didn't put up a link, just named it. I know YT will find it for you by name.

You're right, I merely highlighted the title and hit the first vid in the search. I'm multitasking right now and clearly slipped a cog.

ETA: here's the one I watched:

Last edited:
And complete with a Shiner! Used to be able to get that up here, but since Covid and the administration change, methinks us Yankees have been shut off.

Y'all brew some good stuff up there anyway. I haven't had a Genny Cream Ale in about ten years -- oddly enough, out in SoCal -- but I'd be happy with that too. ETA: Not that I'm very picky.

Never even heard of that, and I'm always on the lookout for a new label so long as it isn't IPA, which I can't stand. Reading their website, it sounds right in my corner -- I like malty stuff. Never hav seen it here or SoCal, though.
Well then, how about a Samuel Adams Summer Ale for a long shot second place? Or are you folks down there all hostages of Annhauser Busch, Miller, Coors, and similar forms of panther piss? I find it amusing that the same folks who would brand my Gold Wing a "rice burner" and "un-American" choose to drink beer fermented primarily from rice instead of barley by companies that sport red white and blue labels, but are foreign owned.

Users who are viewing this thread