Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Regarding the Me-262,

From what it appears,

1. The aircraft was intended to be a fighter/interceptor, and Hitler asked if it could be developed as a bomber and the A-2a variant was fitted with hardpoints, structural reinforcements, and the removal of 2 x 30mm cannon in order to deal with the weight-excess & possibly CG issues. Hitler expected the aircraft to be developed as a plane that would have variants for fighter/interception and fighter-bombing developed side-by-side, but the fighter variant got priority first, which ticked him off.

2. The design originally had a tail-dragger, and was redesigned with a nose-gear: How long did that take? I think that might have delayed the entry into service than the whole bomber issue.

3. How effective were the TSA-2D, EGON, Zyklops, and Neuling (CEP), and is there any data on how they worked?

Regarding the Spitfire's Top Speed,

Spitfires were only capable of 369 mph, and thus completely incapable of intercepting V1's
I'm not sure where that figure came from. I do remember seeing 367 mph coming up in an early test with a twin-pitch prop (7/12/39).

In theory neither could Mosquito fighters or fighter bombers, but they did. Sometimes by diving onto them, and some were fitted with nitrous oxide.

When the V-1s started coming over the main model Spitfire in the RAF was the IX and the XIV was in service.

Didn't the V-1 fly at low altitude?

My understanding is that the majority of the V-1s only travelled at around 340-350 mph at an altitude of 3000-4000 ft.

The regular late-war Mk Vb (Merlin 45) was capable of ~370 mph at ~13,000 ft using +16 lbs boost.
The late-war Mk Vb (Merlin 45M) could do ~350 mph at ~5000 ft using +18 lbs boost.
So even the Mk V could have caught most V-1 if they had any altitude to trade for speed (VNE was over 450 mph IAS/500 mph TAS) at under 10,000 ft).

Last edited:
There can't have been many Spitfire MkVs left in Fighter Command by 13th June 1944. Why would anyone use a MkV when there were Griffon engines Spitfires available.

A number of MK Vs were left, perhaps not many. No 234 squadron was still using MK vs through the summer of 1944 for ground attack. But as fighter bombers they would not normally have been used against V-1s. They did try to find V-2 launch sites around the Hague but weren't successful.

Spit Vs were also used as arty spotters and air/sea rescue searches.

Users who are viewing this thread