Greetings Folks, From East Anglia, England

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hornchurch

Airman
Jul 3, 2020
'

Hi Folks,

Was reading the poll on 'Fave Aircraft' earlier & was having a damn good laugh over some of the banter, whilst agreeing with many choices.

Looks like an interesting forum, so, rather than just lurk, I thought I'd join, save faffing about.

I've been 'on planet' earth rather longer than most (sighs !), so I've had chance to savour some GOOD aviation moments.

All too sadly, I tend to look back in the past thesedays, as many things seem not to be as good as they used to **

** (Like here in the U.K = the airshow-scene kinda 'died' since that idiot went "showboating" in the Hunter at Shoreham & killed a fair bunch of people)

I was making plastic kits (usually AIRFIX & FROG), back in the late 1960's - That's when I first fell in LOVE with planes/aircraft.

One of THE very planes I saw, waaay back in 1972, for the first-time, airborne was Avro Lancaster 'PA.474'

I say that, because she is airborne now, on 3rd July 2020, as I type this, in the neighbouring county of Lincolnshire (prob' on test)

I got to see "her" at my first ever airshow, at Biggin Hill, in Kent, in 1974 and have had a deep affinity for "her" ever since.

So, it's ironic that she's in the air again, as I type, quite wonderful for a 75+ year old Bomber - (P.S, Bombers are my 'thing')

Short Stirlings & Handley Page Halifaxes float my boat, as do Hampdens, Wellingtons & A.W.Whitleys too.

I've ALWAYS also had a deep, deep affinity for American Bombers, particularly the B.26 Marauder, the B.17 Flying Fortress & the B.24 Liberator.

In fact, I live (now, today), directly underneath the flightpath "Assembly Area" of several B.24 Bomb Groups, formating to attack Germany in '44/'45

Today, I usually have USAF F.15's "dogfighting" or at least, transiting over our house, as we live near a N.A.T.O Bombing-range (Holbeach)

(In fact, there's a Eurofighter Typhoon 'ZK.363' heading towards our house, as I type this - It's on radar ADS-B Exchange website/tracking)

Whilst I just LOVE watching the modern-stuff, my main interest is WW.II concentric & always has been, hence joining this forum.

Look forward to chatting maybe with some of you guys in future times & reading thru the forums, as we gradually come out of 'Covid.19' lockdown.

Cheers, 'H.C'

P.S ; I still do have a large WW.II kit collection, mostly unbuilt, plus a few WW.II diecast aircraft as well.

'

Cheers Guys ; Am just chirping-up to say 'Thanks' for the warm-welcome from " Rochie, Wayne, Fubar, Gnomey, Airframes & Crimea"

It's much appreciated.

I also noted that now I've hit the giddy heights of 5-posts, I can now set my own ('City of London') avatar

Will chime-in from time to time "if" I can add anything useful.

BTW ; The "Box Art" thread really caught my attention, as Roy Cross' artwork was pretty-much THE thing that got me into aviation

AIRFIX models (Roy Cross artwork in particular), along with 'Commando' comics and 'Air Ace Picture Library'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back