Greetings with a Zlin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you Matt and Dave! Matt, you're in my old stomping ground – grew up in Seattle.

Seesul: thank YOU very much for those links. The Google translator had some problems with Czech but I got the general idea and the pictures are excellent. They confirm my research – I couldn't find any original Z-XIIs that were still flying or even existed. I assume they were all destroyed during WWII or got junked some time later. There is one more replica though, a static model at the Kbely museum which I visited about 5 years ago on a week's stay in Prague. OK-TBX…

zlin1.jpg

I have a few of these kits in various stages of construction. This is the prototype Z-XII with a covered engine. RS Models has you saw off the fuselage intended for the production model and add a resin nose for the prototype. The production model had protruding air-cooled cylinders as in the museum replica.

001uxc.jpg

Last edited:
You´re right, they have it displayed in Kbely. Where have you been back then- only in Prague? I think so, one weeks is not enough to go somewhere elso too...

I was in Prague on business but I got a chance to do a lot of sightseeing and walking around the city. You're absolutely right: one week is not enough! I've traveled all over Europe and if I had to choose one city to live in it would be Praha!

And do the Czech girls and Czech beer play any role in your opinion?8)

There were a lot of pretty ladies in Prague to be sure and the beer was great, but you can find pretty ladies and beer in any big city. What I liked the most was the variety of sightseeing - you could spend half a day at an air museum and the other half in a medieval village. So many European cultures throughout history found a hub in Prague and made it one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet.

Of course if a pretty lady had snuggled up to me with a couple of beers I would have fulfilled my ambassadorial duties to the best of my ability. :p

Thank you gentlemen! That's not even my smallest - working on a 1/72 Zlin Z-XIII, a one-out racer. I think it's the smallest aircraft kitted in 72nd - I haven't found any smaller at least...

zlin.jpg

Last edited:
Try a Polikarpov I-16 or Bv 246... :)

Yeah the I-16 looks just about as long but wider - the Hasegawa kit looks nice, one more to add to the stash. I guess the Bv 246 counts as an aircraft...I wonder if there are any 1/72 ultra-light kits...

Hello John Anthony,

I am interested in learning whether you have any information or images about other Zlin aircraft. I have seen the Zlin XIII and have images of it. There were a number of secret models that never came into production in Czechoslovakia including the Zlin XIV, [XV], XVI, and possibly other aircraft. I would be very interested to learn more about these designs.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or information you may have on this.

John Nash

Very nice model, and tiny, both of them.

BTW, the announcement of RS Models demise is a bit premature, since they have new releases scheduled for 12, 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

Back