Ground support

Sluff

Airman
73
44
Joined
Nov 7, 2025
Well, seeing my RAF Austin Tilly idea got kabashed, moving on to another plan. I know the Austin K2Y did not see service with the RAF (only RAF contract was delivered the very end of the war) but did get used by USAAF via reverse Lend Lease (4x4 Dodges were thought better suited for the Continent than the Austins so they traded) Have only found 1 photo of one in US use(with a Fordson crash tender) but the crews are draped all over and can hardly see the trucks. I'm presuming they remained SCC-2/ SCC-1a camo with Brit census #. Big or small crosses? US bumper codes? (8* ??BG ?) Anybody have photos, info, thoughts?
 
K2 at the assembling line ...

k2.jpg


The USAAF service in the England ...

USAAF service on an airfield in England, December 1943.jpg

USAAF service on an airfield in England_.jpg

USAAF service on an airfield.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

the pic source: the net and

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1418167295828271&set=gm.8828665477202845&idorvanity=859603390775800

View: https://www.facebook.com/groups/austinmilitarylorriesgroup/posts/621070359387516/
 
I thought the 'Katie' K2/Y was used by the RA & RAF from the early-war period??

Every thing I've read RA and civilian Red Cross organizations (civilian casualties and tranport of wounded coming in to UK via hopital ship or air evac ) ued K2Ys. USAAF got some as "Reverse Lend Lease" prior to Overlord. 4X4 WCs were deemed more usable on the Continent than 2X4 , 2 tonners so there was the swap. (I'd think the bigger Katies would be a better option for 8th AF bomber crews than the smaller WCs) Only RAF contract for them was filled in early 45(?). RAF used them post war. Russia had some (lend lease) and the Germans got a bunch from Dunkirk Used Car Dealership.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back