Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To put this thread into paraphrased movie line terms:

P-39 Expert: "P-39, Cadillac of the skies!"
The Forum: "Why do you say this to us when you know we will debate you for it?"

Trollery though it is, I appreciate that them who know more base their replies on good, sound footing, which allows those of us less-informed to learn better how to sniff out sloppy stuff.

Nice twist P-39 Expert, Nanette is fiction, Angels 20 is the truth, and nothing but the truth.
Strange that the forming up procedures revealed in Nanette fits within known accepted SOP, and your take from Angels 20 does not.

Nanette is about the middle period, and moves into the late period at Port Moresby, and it's nearby airfields , not the early period.
He mentions P-38s being present from the beginning of his account, and also N model P-39s.

Last edited:
GregP was elbows deep in an actual, honest to glory, no fooling' around P-39. His pals restore, repair, rebuild, fly actual P-39's. They actually take stuff out and put stuff back in to REAL P-39's. I'm sure some of these guys have some FAA mandated qualification. They say you can't PHYSICALLY do it.

"You canna' change the laws of physics."
Lt Cmdr Montgomery Scott

You done did it, introducing science-fiction into this already-absurd tale from beyond.

Yeah, I wrote that in a bit of a hurry, and got the squadrons of the 4th and 31st mixed up.

From the link:
At around 11:30, FW 190s appeared in great numbers over the beachhead, resulting in the fiercest combat of the day. Rolf Hermichen of 3./J.G. 26 claimed destruction of a P-39 at 11:38 (a case of mis-identification).

Oops, I see you already addressed this in post #3414 (!!!). So many postings in this thread, I can't keep up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread