Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

.Re: post 64 by eagledad in FW-190F: how effective... I wonder why the Russians didn't use their wonder weapon super groundhog to catch the Fw 190F when their Yak-3,Yak-9 couldn't and La-7 only barely could.

Same width too.

Same size Greg. Same length, same width.

Gentlemen

The 2 stage Allison engine E9 (V-1710-47) was used on the XP-39E aircraft. However, to get it to fit, the fuselage was lenghtened 1.75 feet to accomodate the longer Allison E9 engine.
This is an error perpetuated over 75 years. The aft fuselage was lengthened, but lengthened aft of the engine compartment. Engine compartment is the same size on the P-39, P-39E, and P-63.
P-39 with 120gal had 20% more fuel than a Spitfire V.

So why waste time and money on the P-63?
For the umpteenth time, the engine (V1710-93) was in production from April 1943 but the first P-63 airframe wasn't completed until October. Six months in mid 1943 was wasted when the engine could have been installed in a P-39.

The aft fuselage was lengthened, but lengthened aft of the engine compartment. Engine compartment is the same size on the P-39, P-39E, and P-63.

Yes, because if you read Greg's post instead of just ignoring it, he says the supercharger fits into the compartment AFT of the engine compartment. Why do you persist in saying black is white when all evidence screams that you're wrong?

This is an error perpetuated over 75 years. The aft fuselage was lengthened, but lengthened aft of the engine compartment. Engine compartment is the same size on the P-39, P-39E, and P-63.

P-39 with 120gal had 20% more fuel than a Spitfire V.
You realize that your credibility here is almost non existent. Until you start putting hands on hardware, I suggest you sit back in your armchair and just listen.

For the umpteenth time, the engine (V1710-93) was in production from April 1943 but the first P-63 airframe wasn't completed until October. Six months in mid 1943 was wasted when the engine could have been installed in a P-39.
And if this was such a great idea those really smart AAF officers (maybe the same ones you spoke about who designed those wonderful charts that you don't understand) "would have" saw fit to issue a contract to Bell to do this - or better yet, maybe Larry Bell "would have" went forward with company funds to show the AAF this great idea you came up with 77 years+ later.

A few dates that may be of interest.
June 27, 1941 they (USAAC) placed an order for two prototypes of an enlarged version (of the P-39E) powered by the same Allison V-1710-47 engine. The designation was XP-63 (company designation was Model 24).

In September of 1942, even before the first flight of the prototype, the aircraft was ordered into production by the USAAF as the P-63A (Model 33)

The XP-63 Ser No. 41-19511 flew for the first time on December 7, 1942

The second prototype (41-19512) flew for the first time on February 5, 1943

The XP-63A flew for the first time on April 26, 1943

So the "expert" would have us believe that in all that time that they were working on the XP-39E and the P-63 projects (nearly two years just for the P-63 project) NOBODY walked over to a regular P-39 with a tape measure, spent a few minutes and called out across the hanger "hey guys, the new engine will fit in the old airplane!"

I'd settle for him actually reading and comprehending posts from other people...or at least asking questions about things that are unclear to him.
Years ago all I knew about the P-39 and P-63 was that, because the engine was installed in the middle of the fuselage of the P-39, putting a bigger engine in it needed a bigger plane which was the P-63. I have learned all sorts of interesting stuff from many posters and all of it supports what I knew before, probably because it is so bleedin' obviously obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread