Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In reality, though, those are good airplanes.

I'll certainly give you slow, though. Seems like cruise is just over 170 knots or so. About as fast as a Beech Bonanza.
Looks like it's slower than the bus.
Well in theory an aircraft should be quicker than a train, but in UK there is so much air traffic that you fly in lanes. I flew on it twice from London HR to Teesside, the first time we flew out to the North Sea and then up the coast switching inland across Yorkshire to land at Teesside. The second time they added in a landing at Leeds/Bradford. Leeds Bradford is 55miles from Teesside we just got high enough to be tossed about in the cloud base before starting to land. The train started sooner, took less time and I could have a nice breakfast watching the world go bye. Bang on with the cruise speed, I remember the pilot, sounding like a WW2 bomber pilot on intercom announcing we were cruising at 180MPH.

When flying shouldn't time spent in the airport also be counted?
Thats what I always did. When you have worked all around Europe you understand that a company's appointed travel agent only thinks about the country they are in, so they will propose flying to Frankfurt to visit Saarland instead of landing in Luxembourg and hiring a car. One company I worked for always wanted to fly me to Schipol then to Dusseldorf or Hanover But most of the time you are much better off flying to Schipol then driving to where you want to go in North Germany.

Aah, memories. Agony Airways before they absorbed Piedmont (which wasn't bad) to become Useless Air....
Actually Useless Air preceded the Piedmont acquisition by several (5? 6?) years, and the Piedmont influx kept Useless off the rocks of bankruptcy for a few more.

Last edited:
I took the train instead of flying Air Ecosse, heres why, the fffing thing was slower than the train.
"Welcome aboard the latest innovation from Short Brothers Shipbuilders, the SD-3-30! Bringing the luxury of wide body seating to the regional airline industry, our new SD-3-30 replaces the traditional cramped small airliner cockpit with a spacious bridge, or wheelhouse if you prefer, in keeping with the nautical heritage of our company. As befits the residents of a seagoing nation, the flight sensations of the new SD-3-30 have been engineered to resemble those of the ferry boats that all Britons are accustomed to, making for a comfortable and familiar feeling ride. We hope you will enjoy the spacious and well appointed cabin, the comfortable seating, and the stellar meal service.
Thank you for flying Duckwaddle Air!

On a VFR repositioning flight, we blew past a Command Airways "tuna boat" (that had stolen our booked passengers by an earlier departure) 3/4 mile on the their left side, co-altitude, at dusk with our company logo illuminated, 80 knots of overtake, AND THE RIGHT PROP FEATHERED.
We were taxiing out of the LaGuardia commuter terminal with a "full boat" when we met them taxiing (waddling) in.

In reality, though, those are good airplanes.

I'll certainly give you slow, though. Seems like cruise is just over 170 knots or so. About as fast as a Beech Bonanza.
We had a couple of these at the airline, but they flew over on the 121 side, where I worked as a mechanic for awhile.
170 knots is pretty optimistic unless your company has money to burn. On a hot summer day with a full boat the pilots would plan 150 knots to keep the TITs a safe margin below redline and fuel consumption reasonable.
The SD30's dash 67 engines, rated 1400+ HP were essentially identical to the 1100 HP dash 65s on our 1900s, just ran higher TITs and fuel flows, making maintenance more of an issue. Hot section overhauls were a major expense for the first years, while they tried to run the planes at flight manual speeds; then they slowed down a little and engine life improved dramatically.

I had a friend who flew Twin Otters. He basically climbed and cruised using the TIT gauge. If it was light, he could stop shorter than a Cessna 172!
I never got a PIC check in the Twotter, but I flew right seat on jumper drops and repositioning flights a number of times. Very versatile and flexible airplane, but slower than death and noisy as hell in the cockpit. A short and soft field takeoff is impressive, as the extended flaps tend to raise the mains off the ground first, so you're wheelbarrowing on the nose gear for a bit before you lift off and accelerate into a climb in a nose low attitude like a helicopeter or a BUFF. Those power lines at the end of the grass strip look like they're going to be in your lap until the last seconds.
Needless to say, that sort of takeoff is not approved for airline operations. Interestingly, Pilgrim's Twin Otters, Precision's Dornier 228s, and our 1900s were the only airliners approved to land on KBOS Rwy 33R, which is 2600 feet with water at both ends. Came in mighty handy on a post cold front day with a howling northwest wind and ALL arriving and departing traffic lined up for 33L.
"Clearance, MetroAir 1425 with delta, IFR Boston, ready to copy."
"MetroAir 1425, Clearance, ground stop in effect for Boston, expect update in one to one and a half hours....err...1425, can you accept 33 Right?"
"Affirmative, ready to copy."
"ATC clears MetroAir 1425 to the Boston Logan Airport via Burlington Four Departure then flight plan route, climb and maintain five thousand, expect one seven thousand ten minutes after takeoff....."

For a year I managed maintenance on the 3 Twin Otters operated by the USAFA. During that time I had to send all 6 engines to overhaul, rotating a rental spare engine through the 3 aircraft, very taxing as the contractor who picked up this contract was basically a trucking company that won an aircraft contract, some of the people I had to deal with were clueless. I really enjoyed this program despite the BS I had to put up with. My crew were great guys, some of the best mechanics I ever worked with.

A few months prior to me being laid off, my sister in law and her kids came up to visit me. My brother in law took this picture right when one of my birds was taxiing out to dump some cadet jumpers over the Academy.

Not familiar with those. Isnt that what the Cessna 425 used?
Don't know, we went from -28s to -34s around 2007, similar to Viking's -300

Now you're just showing off!

Users who are viewing this thread