Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To save 70lbs of weight. The plane could easily be balanced by moving or removing the IFF radio. And the plane entered the spin with no ammo in the nose. But the weight of the spent shell casings still in the nose would achieve a reasonable center of gravity. Not likely to go into combat with no ammunition in the front compartment.

To save 70lbs of weight. The plane could easily be balanced by moving or removing the IFF radio.
And I showed you over and over that if you do this you're still AFT in the CG ENVELOPE!!!

and...you keep saying the Soviets REMOVED their IFF - THEN WHY DIDN'T THEY REMOVE THE GEAR BOX ARMOR???? PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION?!?!?

And again - you "balance" see-saws and spinning plates.

And the plane entered the spin with no ammo in the nose. But the weight of the spent shell casings still in the nose would achieve a reasonable center of gravity.
Not with 70 pounds of armor removed!!!!

Oh - the cannon shell casing mod - WHY WAS THAT DONE? APPARENTLY THE SOVIETS SHOWED THE NEED FOR IT!
Not likely to go into combat with no ammunition in the front compartment.
No, but you're hopefully gonna fly home that way LOL!!!!!

Last edited:

And keeping it in place moves the C/G forward over 2 inches in some configurations!!!

So when did this cleaned up Typhoon actually enter combat?
It was a standard production fit from Nov 43 and conversion kits were produced so aircraft could be modified in the field. There was as you would expect a transition period, and just by looking at photographs, its rare to find a photo of the old 'car door' version after March/April 44. I have a couple of photo's of squadrons in flight dated March 44 in my book on the 2TAF and both versions are in both photo's
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a push to get it as a standard equipment for the invasion, but cannot guarantee that.

Please expand above.

Please produce your source on those ranges, but they computed range differently than the AAF. Computed the army way with the appropriate takeoff and climb allowance, cruise out at high altitude, 20 minutes of combat and cruise back at high altitude with the appropriate reserve for landing the ranges were very close.

WHY DIDN'T THE RUSSIANS REMOVE THE GEAR BOX ARMOR!
Obviously they chose not to, for whatever reason. I never said that anyone ever removed the gear box armor. It's just an idea. But if they did, appropriate measures could be taken to keep the plane within the CG limits. That's all I have ever said. And you really can't argue that point.

Tell you what - let's see YOU calculate the maximum P-39 range (any model you want) "with the appropriate takeoff and climb allowance, cruise out at high altitude, 20 minutes of combat and cruise back at high altitude with the appropriate reserve for landing."

And you're arguing a hypothetical idea that was clearly shown WHY it shouldn't be done, this based on historical records to show both the P-39 AND P-63 had aft C/G issues clearly identified by the Soviets!!!!

The cannon was always an enigma. The P-39 was the only AAF plane that used it. From what I have read the combat pilots were split about 50/50 vs. the alternate 20mm cannon in the P-400 and P-39D-1. The 37mm advocates liked its destructive power, the 20mm men liked the longer range and higher rate of fire. Personally I think I would have preferred the 20mm for the same reasons plus the lower weight.

I think one reason why Grumman, Boeing, and other companies stayed in business while Brewster and Curtiss did not is exactly this: listening to the end users, and putting those mods into place efficiently.

There are, of course, other factors as well -- Brewster's shoddy workmanship, Curtiss' designs being regularly a year or two behind cutting-edge -- but you get my point.

ETA: I edited this post to remove Bell from the list of has-beens because they did of course do good work on heloes for decades after WWII.

You're the expert - look it up yourself.

And the plane entered the spin with no ammo in the nose. But the weight of the spent shell casings still in the nose would achieve a reasonable center of gravity. Not likely to go into combat with no ammunition in the front compartment.

But more likely to experience that circumstance at the end of a mission, slowing and turning on approach. A crashed plane is a crashed plane, and a low-altitude stall is a bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread