Hasegawa 1/48 Bf 109K-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Back to the Kurfurst for a spell. The K-4 had tail wheel well doors but these doors were mostly shut when the plane was on the ground. Hasegawa, however, chose to mold the doors in the open position. I'll cut the doors off and depict the doors closed (not sure how to do that yet).
IMG_3171_zpsqiudsisf.jpg

IMG_3172_zpsdxffknyn.jpg

I've decided to give this kit the rivet treatment. The RB Tools Rivet-R is a ponce-wheel type rivet maker and it produces a fairly subtle row of rivets, based on my experience with my 1/32 Dora build. It comes with four wheels with differently spaced holes. Using the smallest size, I'm hoping that the rivets won't overpower the model at this scale. Using a detailed set of plan/profile drawings, I trace the rivet lines onto the upper wings with a soft lead pencil. I do both sides at one sitting to maintain symmetry.
IMG_3173_zpsakasjbkv.jpg

I've gotten used to working the Rivet-R without any alignment guides. I just roll the wheel down the line... it's easy to keep on course. Notice the panel line with all of the sanding marks around it? That's a new panel line that had to be scribed onto the wing per the kit's instructions.
IMG_3174_zpszfanix6r.jpg

Once the rivets are done, I wipe off the pencil lead with iso alcohol and give the wings a light sanding.
IMG_3177_zpsdyu7eb8p.jpg

I am pleased with how the rivets turned out. This should add some visual interest to this build without being too much of a distraction.
IMG_3179_zpskeq6qjuh.jpg

It's a very clean job John; ... with which you helped so that the lines of rivets were so straight?
I already have in line a 109G-5 of Eduard, so I will follow your process closely.
A hug :thumbup:

It's a very clean job John; ... with which you helped so that the lines of rivets were so straight?
I already have in line a 109G-5 of Eduard, so I will follow your process closely.
A hug :thumbup:

Since it is a wheel, the Rivet-R tendency is to run straight. So it is a simple matter of putting the wheel on the drawn line and pushing it along. It almost drives itself! I believe the Eduard 109G kits in 1/48 already have rivet detail molded in so you won't have to add them.

Correct about the Eduard kits. They are well detailed already.

John you've inspired my and I will likely give it a try on my G-10 or K-4 (or both!). Need to locate some plans though.

Friends are right, I have about 3 Eduard models and they are well detailed. Still not touch me build one of them, but the time will come to honor them.
I have seen that 4 wheel set to make the rivets, must be an excellent tool John, and with a little practice should be very useful.

I do not miss what happens with your bird.

Saludos amigos. :thumbup:

Correct about the Eduard kits. They are well detailed already.

John you've inspired my and I will likely give it a try on my G-10 or K-4 (or both!). Need to locate some plans though.
109Lair has a set of K-4 drawings that shows rivets but it is not the best resolution. I have the Japanese Model Art book,
messerschmitt-bf-109-g-k-augsburg-eagle-model-art_1_zpsrafsnnfx.jpg

that has a set of 1/48 scale plans that I used. It's a little different than the 109Lair drawings (lacks the semi-circular set of rivets on top of the wing above the wheel well) but I can scan them for you.

Wow John, I would need some sort of witchcraft to free hand lines that straight !
No, it's quite easy Karl! It only takes a short practice session to get a feel for the tool and it's VERY easy to run straight. It's much more difficult to trace a crooked or curved line. Or around a curved surface. And being a wheel, you can't run the rivets right up to a raised obstruction.

For me, the most time consuming part of the riveting process is drawing the rivet lines on the model. I use a clear, flexible plastic ruler.

I have purchased, but not yet received, a Rivet R set. I saw somewhere that the wheels are made by the same people that supply Rosie The Riveter tools, those are hugely expensive in comparison. I also liked the fact I could use a standard hobby knife barrel to hold the tool. The wood handles on Rosie look fragile to me. Great to see someone using it, hope my experience with it will match yours!

I have purchased, but not yet received, a Rivet R set. I saw somewhere that the wheels are made by the same people that supply Rosie The Riveter tools, those are hugely expensive in comparison. I also liked the fact I could use a standard hobby knife barrel to hold the tool. The wood handles on Rosie look fragile to me. Great to see someone using it, hope my experience with it will match yours!

You'll like it Robert. It does a great job and it is easy to use. Radu makes some great stuff. The only hiccup I encountered was when a burr from the PE fret caused the wheel to hang up. I simply unscrewed it and flipped the wheel over to resolve the issue.
IMG_0875_zpsitdoqgz4.jpg

You'll like it Robert. It does a great job and it is easy to use. Radu makes some great stuff. The only hiccup I encountered was when a burr from the PE fret caused the wheel to hang up. I simply unscrewed it and flipped the wheel over to resolve the issue.
IMG_0875_zpsitdoqgz4.jpg
Oddly enough after I posted that and checked the mail today, there it was! Complete with the extra two wheels for a total of 6 wheels. While it does not offer the double or triple wheels like Rosie, I assume parallel lines can accomplish the same thing. The one I got looks a little different than yours. Is it possible yours is the "Mini" version they sell?

Oddly enough after I posted that and checked the mail today, there it was! Complete with the extra two wheels for a total of 6 wheels. While it does not offer the double or triple wheels like Rosie, I assume parallel lines can accomplish the same thing. The one I got looks a little different than yours. Is it possible yours is the "Mini" version they sell?

Yes, you are right. I just checked my Ebay invoice and it says Rivet-R Mini. I should've clarified earlier but I didn't realize they had different sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back