Hasegawa 1/48 Bf 109K-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Continuing on from the last session... the port side exhaust shield was straightened out and re-folded.
IMG_3338_zpseqkyf0z8.jpg

IMG_3337_zpsaxbixkfg.jpg

The clear parts were masked with a combination of leftover Montex masks and Tamiya yellow tape. I may have a little fit issue with the fuselage/windscreen joint.
IMG_3341_zps21hsudok.jpg

IMG_3342_zps2yhsfj9c.jpg

Jumping over to the landing gear, I fashioned some brake lines using different thickness wire and small pieces of brass tubing.
IMG_3339_zpsbcpdxho7.jpg

I leave the "loop" part of the lower brake line unattached so that I can paint and mask the sliding strut chrome silver.
IMG_3340_zpslsr35c5p.jpg

Here are the landing gear struts, wheels and tail wheel after painting.
IMG_3344_zpslxgnwdu6.jpg

Added some detail and riveted the landing gear doors.
IMG_3346_zpsvd7ypj6v.jpg

Here are the gear doors after some paint.
IMG_3348_zpsxy1krfbf.jpg

The prop blades have also been painted.
IMG_3347_zpszdemm1rf.jpg

The K-4 has small strip, presumably a brace or stiffener of some kind, on the leading edge of the wing near the wing root. I added it with a scriber and put a row of rivets down the middle of it.
IMG_3349_zpsyqndcd8l.jpg

Once I've determined that all of the major putting and sanding is done, I attach the tail planes.
IMG_3353_zpsb7p4pwxk.jpg

IMG_3354_zpsc7dyteeq.jpg

Almost ready for painting but first I need to install the Revi 16 gun sight. I lost the kit part and ordered a resin replacement. Once the gun sight is in place, I can attach the clear parts and prepare for painting.

Thanks guys! The prop connection was bothering me. The rotating element trapped between the two fuselage pieces offers a very shallow pin to connect the spinner. Connection is not very positive.
IMG_3376_zpsmkkthaut.jpg

So I decided to use 3/32" plastic rod. I drilled a bigger receiving hole in the spinner backplate and then blitzed out the rotating element at the front of the fuselage using a power drill. I didn't get the hole in the fuselage centered the first time so I had to patch it up and try it again. I used wet black paint on the spinner backplate to help mark the correct location.
IMG_3378_zps3r9hv9rm.jpg

Got it centered on the second attempt, thankfully. And now my spinner will be easier to hold when it its time to paint it.
IMG_3379_zpse46l4xm7.jpg

I received the Quickboost resin Revi 16B gunsights today. Off the casting block, they look like little lumps to my naked eye but boy, do they have some detail despite being so tiny. I had to add a piece of plastic on the back of the Revi to serve as a mount to the face of the instrument panel.
IMG_3391_zpse1qbrs8g.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back