Hasegawa 1/48 P-400 Airacobra (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apologies again, George. That would concour with the research that I have done. Thanks for the input! It will help in my "nose art" GB. entry.

Yikes, almost 2 years have passed so I thought I'd fire this up again before the thread disappeared. Finished my last group build so I'll work on this while I'm waiting for the next GB to start. Just gotta figure out where I left off. :oops:

Geo

OK, everything is sorted out(I also had and Academy Spit MK.XIV sprue in the box???) and the gluing starts...

1.jpg

...Although I have built close to 100 models, this is only my second Hasegawa kit(others in the stash), very impressed.

Geo

Thank you gentlemen. Hard to tell but there's armored glass in there attached with my favorite clear fixative, jigsaw puzzle glue.

011.JPG

Just waiting for the seat harnesses to set up and then I can attach the pit to the sidewall. The instructions call for 15 grams of weight to keep the front end down so I'll have to see what fits, a bolt, fish weights or my dwindling supply (thank you federal government) of bird shot.

Geo

Picking up an old build eh? The cockpit looks very sharp! Can't believe it's only your 2nd Hasegawa since they are such a prolific, high quality manufacturer.

Picking up an old build eh? The cockpit looks very sharp! Can't believe it's only your 2nd Hasegawa since they are such a prolific, high quality manufacturer.

Thanks guys. John, I live in a remote community with a 4hr round trip to a larger city(pop.71K+) with one nerd shop containing a small selection of models and one R/C shop that has an even smaller selection of models. Hasegawa 1/48 models are 70$+. It wasn't until I opened an eBay account that I started getting the higher end models. Anyhoo....the pit is together. Due to the nature of the armored glass sitting flush against the crossbar, I couldn't mount the shoulder harnesses properly so I'll live with it.

5.jpg

Off to find some suitable weight for the front end.

Geo

Geo, if you are still interested in RAF Airacobras here is a pic of the one you posted above. It was taken from a little bit different direction and is of nice quality. I have attached a smaller pic and z ZIP file with large one. You can see more details of the camo in the shot.

View attachment P-39 Airacobra RAF_1.zip

P-39 Airacobra RAF_1.jpg

Fantastic Wojtek. Looks like it might be hard for a brush painter to duplicate but if I tone down the colors and then use the original colors applied a fine brush it might be OK. I wonder what's going on with the second aircraft under the squadron codes.

Geo

Yep , you are right. It does look like there was something overpaited. The enlarged part of the shot reveals that the kite behind the UF-W is UF-N. The N letter can be seen through the rear part of the UF-W conopy. However it seems that the darker area might have been a result of washing of the fuselage there. Please have a look at the area next to the RAF roundel. The smudges there suggest using of a rag or a lager brush. Otherwise the overpaiting with a colour would have been done more accurate. The same we can say about all adges of the darker spot. It might have been that the area was cleaned because of applying of the code letters. Additionally I would say that the UF-N and UF-P had the dark spot there made in the same way.

P-39 Airacobra RAF_1b.jpg

Here a couple of not too great quality screen shots from the film below. The slightly difference between colour tones can be noticed there too.

P-39 RAF UF_W_2.jpg

P-39 RAF UF_W_3.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ppL1hsNuI

Last edited:
And the another shot of your Airacobra showing camo layout on the port wing ....

P-39 Airacobra RAF_1a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back