Hasegawa Hells Angels B-17f Bomber Scale 1:72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jzsauronzj

Recruit
Jan 2, 2010
Here is the 2nd and 3rd build of the Hasegawa Hells Angels B-17f Bomber Scale 1:72. If you look closely at the 3rd build you'll notice I changed the nose art. I came accross a hatchway off a B-17 with the different artwork and inscribed "Hells Angel". Just for a bit of flavor I created the new decal for with it. I did my best to be authentic with the colors as well as wear ie: the paint chipped away up the joint between the wings and body from continual travel by mechanics and oil leaks/ignition exhaust staining. With the 2nd build I used the camo patterns from several photos of the actual Hells Angels Bomber. With the 3rd build I followed the specs on the instructions. If anyone is interested in the methods I utilized to do the undercoat shading and weathering as well as how I assured the clear plastic canopies and windows remained unmarked I will post a few pictures of the processes I used.

Attachments

• B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 2 02.jpg
    B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 2 02.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,739
  • B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 2 03.jpg
    B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 2 03.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 952
  • B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 04.jpg
    B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 04.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 508
  • B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 49.jpg
    B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 49.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 508
  • B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 29.jpg
    B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 29.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 631
  • B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 42.jpg
    B-17 f Hells Angels Bomber Build 3 42.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 535
  • B-17f Hells Angel Bomber ver2  3 18.jpg
    B-17f Hells Angel Bomber ver2 3 18.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 510
  • B-17f Hells Angel Bomber ver2  3 20.jpg
    B-17f Hells Angel Bomber ver2 3 20.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,450
Not that I'm aware of. That caught my eye immediately. But then again I missed the upside down stars and bars! Hah. Fun stuff as always from your stash.

Holy Hell I didn't realize, myself that on B-17f build 2 that I accidentally turned the Stars and Bars emblem upsidedown! I must have been distracted by Kate Beckinsale in tight black leather on the tube while I was putting that one on!. I printed out a new Stars and Bars decal and corrected that major error. I'm usually so incredibly aware of such things, having grown up with half my life spent on military bases due to dad being a cmdr in the USN.

As far as painting over the Deicer boots with the camo I wrestled with that for quite some time. I noticed on at least half of the ref pictures I dug up on the B-17 in flight that almost half the airborn bombers had them still in place and the other half didn't. I initially didnt paint the camo splotches over the boots and it just looked odd to me that the patterns didnt meet the aircraft's natural edge of the wings and/or tail. I made the decision to split the difference by doing so on the top half of the B-17 but I did not paint over the deicer boots on the bottom of the aircraft. That was the reason I included the posting showing the belly view of the bomber. I was hoping that it would successfully show my split decision. Nice catch, by the way. Most people, unless they really know aircraft well, think the black markings on the wings and tail of the B-17 are nothing more than part of the initial factory's paint scheme rather than "deicer boots".

No, the 'crow's feet' Medium Green 'splotches' were not painted over the rubber of the de-icer boots. When the boots were removed, to prevent control surface damage or jamming, from flak damage, the area where they were fitted was normally bare metal.

I know they didnt paint over the actual boots. That would have just been rediculous (laughing). What I mean is as far as the model itself goes.... I was making an aesthetic vs. realistic judgement call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back