Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc Trop. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
I'm considering to purchase the ney FLY kit in 1:32 and I would appreciate if someone will suggest me the correct colours to use for camou, cockpit and landing gear wells, possibly acylics.
many thanks
Alberto

The Vallejo sets ...

81fKPmEN8LL._SL1500_.jpg

$_57.jpg

The Hataka set ...

15886182244_c30dd286ba_z.jpg

AKAN set ...

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The 'standard' Hawker factory finish for the wheel bays, and the inside of the undercarriage doors, was 'silver', a matt aluminium-tone finish paint.
However, some Hurricanes did have the bay walls finished in the interior grey green colour, with the inside of the doors in the underside colour, which might have been the finish used by the Gloster factory, and/or when re-painted at an MU, particularly in the case of those aircraft in the MTO.
I'm slightly dubious about that colour image, as the gear legs and the retraction jacks are painted in the underside colour, which is unusual, although possibly 'the norm' for aircraft painted in the MTO scheme at the factory.
In general, unless there's photo evidence of the actual subject being modelled, I'd go with 'silver' bays, silver-grey gear legs and jacks, aluminium wheels, and the inside of the doors either in 'silver', or the underside colour.

What about these shots? Comparing to the wheel hub I would say that these legs and inner sides of the door bay were of the underside colour.

hurricane podwozie_5a.jpg

hurricane podwozie_6a.jpg

I'd agree there.
I'll admit, I haven't studied many pics of MTO aircraft, so it might be the norm, especially if one at a local MU. Howver, most Hurricanes in the ETO seem to have had the 'silver' colour, with the exception of those already mentioned in my previous thread.

BTW.. I have found a B&W shot of the the colour images. Also here can be noticed that there were parts of the sliver ( shining ) tinge ( the wheel hub for instance) while the entire rest of them are of dark matt colour that wasn't the silver one rather.. Because a trouble with the link to the shot I had to post it in another way.

The pic source: Photo by Mick

Schowek01.jpg

Last edited:
I was talking about the wheel wells, not the doors. These could be the underside colour as well as silver dope.

Looking at that B&W shot, it's made me return to my original thoughts concerning the colourised image, which I didn't mention.
I'm wondering (and beginning to think 'yes') if the aircraft is actually painted in Dark Green and either Ocean Grey with MSG undersides, or MSG on top as well. The tones in the B&W shot suggest this, and I had doubts about a Hurricane in MTO colours in what appears to be a factory or unit in the UK., although, of course, it is possible.
A check on the serial number might turn up something - I'll have a look when I get back from hospital tomorrow (Friday), if I can stay awake, after the meds infusion !

From the factory most of the interior structure would be aluminium coloured. This includes the inside of the wing, gun bays and wheel bays, and fuselage. The canopy framework and often the interior cockpit framing would also be painted aluminium, only the cockpit panels would be in cockpit grey/green. Cowling interiors, inside of radiator intake, also aluminium.
I've seen it claimed that the interior cockpit framing on the Mk II was painted grey/green, not aluminium, but in the pilot notes for the Mk II it is clearly a much lighter colour than the surrounding panels which I believe means it was still painted in an aluminium colour.
Areas like wheel wells and inside of gear doors might get over sprayed in an underside colour if or when the aircraft was re-sprayed on its wheels (same applies for other types) but that was not factory standard.

I don't know the provenance of that rather obviously posed picture of KZ295. It would be interesting to know where it was taken. I have my doubts that it was taken at the original point of production. If it was, then clearly at least one factory was spraying inside gear doors and wheel wells in the underside colour on tropical Hurricanes.

Anyone who can postitively identify a difference between grey, light blue or aluminium paint (not bare metal!!!) in a B+W photograph has got better eyes than me :)

I have less evidence for Canadian built Hurricanes, but what I have seen implies that a similar method was employed. I have been told that the Canadians used Zinc Chromate in some areas, which was not the case on UK built aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
The evidence on Canadian built Mark XIIs favours the aluminum dope painted part mentioned above. s/n 5389, on which I am a member of the restoration team, had no zinc chromate. The pit and wheel wells were all silver.

The evidence on Canadian built Mark XIIs favours the aluminum dope painted part mentioned above. s/n 5389, on which I am a member of the restoration team, had no zinc chromate. The pit and wheel wells were all silver.

Thanks for the info on the ZC. I have never seen any myself, but then I've not seen inside any original Canadian built Hurricanes :) It was something I was told, so it is good to know that yours has no such thing and broadly seems to follow the same specifications as the UK built aircraft. I've had a look at your photos (excellent BTW) and can't really see any difference between that aircraft and the ones built over here. There may be some minor detail differences but nothing to worry the average modeller!
Cheers
Steve

You're welcome Steve and thanks for the nod to my other thread. I should clarify that we did have evidence of ZC on the hulk when we got it but it's probable that this was applied on repaired surfaces or as part of previous preservation attempts. Our aircraft was known to have nosed over in a landing accident in July 1943 and then spent time at a repair depot.

Back to Jeff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back