Hurricane MKII colors.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I'm about to start a Hobby Boss Hurricane MKII. The two options for design are a 3 squadron RAF or a 87 Squadron. Both versions of 1942.

I assume the green is a RAF Dark green?

And instead of a dark earth color, it is a gray. It just says Dark Sea Gray. Does anyone know what Model Master enamel color that dark gray is supposed to be?

Thanks,

Tom

The colours would be Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey (Ocean Grey) upper surfaces, with Medium Sea Grey under sides. Haven't got the MM numbers, but you can cross reference the Humbrol numbers, which are:-
Dark Green, Humbrol No. 30 enamel, matt. (Humbrol No.163 satin is a better match)
Ocean Grey/Dark Sea Grey, Humbrol No. 27 enamel, matt.
Medium Sea Grey, Humbrol No. 165.
The code letters would be 'Sky', as would the 18 inch band around the tail, and the wing leading edges would have the yellow I.D. stripe, from the outboard cannon (if MkIIc) to the inner edge of the wing tip navigation light.

Last edited:
All Hawker aircraft had wheel wells, inside of gear doors, and gear legs painted in 'Aluminium', which was a matt-finish, made with clear laquer and aluminium powder. Add a spot of white to silver, and it should do the trick, especially in 1/72nd scale.

It's exhaust colour - which can be a variety of shades, depending on a number of aspects. The Hurricane Mk IIc exhausts were a steel colour originally, but heat and the elements obviously affected this, as did the area of operations, and to be truly accurate you would need to study good colour photos or the real thing. As a basic guide, paint the exhausts a dark steel colour, which can be mixed from black and silver. When dry, this can be touched in, or dry brushed lightly, with a reddish brown, with the outlets themselves a grey shade.
Here's a pic of one of my Hurricane's exhausts, which may give you an idea of what they looked like. To help you for future projects, try to study as many photos as you can of such details, as this will help to build your 'data base', with practice and experience leading to further improvements in techniques etc.
A look through some of the other members' build threads will also provide a tremendous amount of information on how things are assembled, painted, varying effects created and so on. There is so much information and combined expertise on this forum, that if you were to find a fraction of this in modelling magazines, it would cost a fortune in subscriptions!

Attachments

• BC Hurricane 165.jpg
    BC Hurricane 165.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,785
My set for the RAF colours is the Humbrol 30 - Dark Green ( but I agree with Terry on the Humbrol 163 that matches better, also Humbrol 116 US Dark Green ) . For the Ocean Grey I use Humbrol 106 - Ocean Grey and the Humbrol 64 - Light Grey or Humbrol 165 - Sea Grey Medium as the Medium Sea Grey. ModelMaster/Testors enamels for these colours are ...

For the RAF Dark Green FS34095

MM1786 Medium Field Green FS34095
model-master-enamel-med-field-green-fs34095.jpg

or

MM1764 European Green FS34092
1764-500x500.jpg

For the Ocean Grey FS36187

MMII 2057 RAF Ocean Grey
model-master-ii-enamel-raf-ocean-grey.jpg

For the Medium Sea Grey FS36270

MM1725 Natural Grey
1725-500x500.jpg

or ( it seems to be better one )

MMII 2058 RAF Medium Sea Grey
model-master-ii-enamel-raf-medium-sea-grey.jpg

Dark Sea Grey (Ocean Grey)

Just to clarify Dark Sea Grey is not Ocean Grey.

The order to change the camouflage on Fighter Command aircraft orders the replacement of Dark Earth with a mixed grey colour.

mixedgrey15-8-411_crop.gif

Repeated here and prioritised for Groups on the "front line".

PICT0187.gif

There was a need to standardise this new mixed grey as evidenced here,though the name Ocean Grey has still not been applied to it.

mixed_oceangrey.gif

The first mention of Ocean Grey is sometime later,it happens to be in relation to nightfighters,hence the matt (type M) finish. The finish applied to day fighters would have been smooth (type S).

greengreytrials1942.gif

Hope this has cast some light on this intriguing period when Fighter Command changed its camouflage colours.

Cheers

Steve

Quite correct Steve. Perhaps I should have clarified this in my response, but, with our friend informing us he is an absolute beginner, I didn't want to complicate matters too much.

Quite correct Steve. Perhaps I should have clarified this in my response, but, with our friend informing us he is an absolute beginner, I didn't want to complicate matters too much.

No worries sir! I guessed that's what you meant anyway. It can be a bit complicated and overwhelming for someone just beginning to disentangle the gordian knot of WW2 camouflage schemes!

I just posted those documents for the enlightenment of all,particularly those of us who have been at it for.....ahem....a few years :)

Cheers
Steve

I am such a idiot. The camo was done, the Duck egg blue stripe was painted nice and clean on the plane and something did not look right even though the paint job looked clean. I kept looking at it wondering why the colors looked funky, then I realized what I did.

I painted the plane gray and dark earth instead of gray and green.

Time to remask and paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back