Hawker Tempest Mk.V - Academy 1:72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hal bregg

Senior Airman
Oct 13, 2013
Poland
Hello!

Tempest Mk. V series 2,
pilot: Belgian Lt. Remy van Lierde, V-1 buzzbomb contract killer (44 pcs.+9 shared), RAF no. 3 sqn.
model: Academy, painted Gunze C, sqn. codes-self made masks,
How not to love Hawker Tempest?. Hard to handle, but superfast. And the shape...

+bonus track

Last edited:
Many thanks.
In fact it is not a 100 percenter. On the top of the spinner should be painted a thin strip in colors of Belgian flag.
I wondered how to do that in 1:72 scale ....and again ...once more... Then I went to sleep.

Perfection!

Very nice, even got the slight softness of the color demarcation--1 inch was the RAF specification!
But....

The exhausts would never have been painted--the paint would have burned of during the first taxi and runoff before the 'plane's first flight--and by the time it got to the squadron would have been totally covered in rust--about the same color as the red part of the roundel on the wings, actually....

Just an annoying note from an OCD fellow Tempest lover....

It is somewhat of a myth that the exhausts of high powered aircraft such as Tempest, Spitfire, Mustang etc got rusty, the exhaust pipes were made from a high temperature resistant nickel/steel alloy which was resistant to rusting, it would tarnish & definitely got hot enough to take on a heated appearance, all sorts of colours from greys, through straw colour to blues & a mixture of the lot depending on how the area was heated. It is a real skill to represent these accurately in smaller scales, some sort of representative finish is about as good as most can manage. I go for a gun metal shade with some dry brushing of light & dark browns, mainly 'cause I don't have a decent burnt steel shade as a starter. I've been meaning to get one ooooh, for a long time. But rust, not really.

I'm not seeing any rust colour in the model exhausts so not sure where the comment about "The exhausts would never have been painted..." comes from. They look fine to me.

Look fine to me too.

If a real aircraft had 'rusty' exhausts, it would soon be off the line, having them changed. Part of the daily inspection included examining the exhaust stubs, even down to tapping them with a spanner or similar, and listening to the 'ding' - if there was a difference in tone, it could mean a cracked stub.
Below is an example of how the average exhaust stubs look, this on a Spitfire Mk.IX. Note how the exhaust gasses have also affected the colours, with the rear stubs getting progressively more discolouration from the stubs further forward,
EDIT : Forgot to mention - the engine is obviously running in the photo, Once stopped, and cooled, the exhausts would take on a slightly different hue, looking more like the front two stubs, therefore the exhausts on the model Tempest look fine, especially for 1/72nd scale.

Last edited:

I have no idea what material Spitfire exhausts are made of in restoration or were made of in WW2. However carbon and stainless steels will go black when exposed to high temperature. Stainless steel is black after coming out of a heat treatment furnace and the colour of rust on carbon steel is heavily influenced by it absorbing water.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread