Hawker Tempest V production batches

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have read the same but have no way to "confirm it"

Some accounts claim that they used the same "wings", it is just that on a Tempest the wings were bolted to a center section about the width of the fuselage or to the fuselage itself?
while on the Fury the wing panels were bolted together and the fuselage put on top?
difference in wing span between the two being about the width of the fuselage?

Wuzak, can you explain what you mean by "used a monocque construction, rather than the tube frame construction of the earlier models.".

If I may,
Typhoon_Av_GB_4405_sk_fuselage_p203_W.png

Av_GB_4507_sk_Tempest_fuselage_p191_W.png

Aerodynamically, the late model radial Tempest and Sea Fury were VERY close to one another. Structurally, I would not venture an opinion as I have never seen a Tempest, let alone a Tempest internal structure. The illustrations above are nothing like a Sea Fury structure, though. It would be nice to see a Tempest flying, but it looks like a Sea Fury with a dorsal fin in a lot of ways, at least to me. The Sea Fury structure is pretty straightforward, and they are working on two at Chino now, including one at Fighter Rebuilders, so you can see the structure pretty well.

Externally, the Typhoon was similar, too, but the Typhoon wing was thicker (T/C %) and the Typhoon was never going to go as fast as a Tempest, let alone a Sea Fury, even with the same engine and prop.

WOW! Those will probably be the most costly restorations ever on a SE WW2 fighter! That engine is out of this world!

Cheers,
Biff

One thing I picked up yesterday was that Camm designed the Tempest from the start to take the Centaurus having been ordered to remove it from the original (3rd) Tornado prototype (which it fitted relatively easily due to the dimensions of the Vulture) and later a modified Typhoon prototype (when the Tornado was cancelled) which it wouldn't fit in original Typhoon form. It is from those developments in particular the Tornado that the Tempest MkII eventually found its inspiration despite the prejudice against radials for fighters. Its just a shame that the Ministry's animosity prevented it from entering service earlier.

(To my surprise I also read that the Vulture in the Tornado was actually more reliable than the troublesome Sabre in tests though obviously its potential was ultimate far less than either of the other 2 engines.)

The Sea Fury is semi-monocoque construction, with longerons and stringers. We are working on one now. Monocoque uses the skin only for stress-bearing and semi-monocoque uses stringers and longerons to help carry the stress. In the above I am, of course, not mentioning the bulkheads and formers that both have.

So, stressed skin with bulkheads/formers is monocoque while the same structure with longerons and stringers is semi-monocoque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back