Sorry, Matt. Maybe I'm not stating myself clearly because I clearly don't understand. Maybe if I start over.
I can get a HD TV. No prob. But is that it? Do I have to have Cable or Satelite or some type of service even to watch it? I hear about converter boxes, etc.
I am dense when it comes to this sh*t. Sorry.
Okay here is the short course. And believe me, I can understand why you are confused.
Buy an HDTV (with built in tuner) - You can buy HD "capable" TVs with no HD tuner. However, these are so rare anymore as to be non-existent. I have not seen an HDTV that does not include an HD tuner in years. So don't worry about it.
Signal -
If you are currently using an antenna and get good reception on all your important channels, you are probably fine to receive HD on those same channels once they broadcast in HD (as noted all will broadcast HD by law in 2009). All HDTVs that I have seen also tune analog stations. So during that time during the analog-to-digital transition, you can receive either format. Most all HDTVs are smart enough to scan the spectrum, find the good channels and inform you of them, irrespective of whether they are currently analog or HD.
Poor Reception -
With your current analog set using an antenna, a poor signal is typically still discernible, but with perhaps snow or blurring. With HD, this is no longer the case. With digital, you are in the "either your get it, or you don't" world of reception. A marginal signal will either result in a blank screen, perfect video with audio drops, or periodic drops of video and audio. Think start stops. This is the downfall of HD over an antenna if the signal strength isn't high enough. It will drive you friggin' crazy. Your current TV will just blur a little or you might hear white noise in the audio or both. Not so with HD. Cable and Satellite hook up is by far the best bet and allow you to take the digital signal directly from the cable/satellite box directly into your TV via a digital (HDMI) link.
Now you have options for your antenna 'type', but as always the 75ohm outdoor roof antenna will likely give you the best HD reception. New HDTVs don't use rabbit ears, though some may have screw terminal connections. We're in the next century now. And best I can tell antennas that are marketed as HDTV antennas are no different than any other antenna of equal size/location. That appears to be a marketing ploy so don't pay more for one.
Format -
For simplicity, current HDTVs at your local Circuit City come in 720p (progressive scanning) and 1020i (interlaced). The 720p is less expensive and given everything else is equal results in a GREAT picture, but some fast movement (like sports) does have some discernable blurring where there is movement. However, coming from an analog set, you won't be able to spot it unless someone demos a 1020i right next to the 720p. The 1020i is more expensive, but that would be my choice.
The differences between projection (Digital Light Processing DLP), LCD and Plasma can be subtle to VERY significant. Traditionally DLP is least expensive. LCD in the middle. And plasma the most expensive. There are exceptions and it is not necessarily one format being better than others. It depends upon the HDTV and the price point. When in doubt, trust your eyes.
Screen Glare -
This is a big deal if you have a bright room. Especially if you get a big TV. My buddy has a 63" Mitsubishi that is (in my opinion) virtually unwatchable in his room in any light whatsoever. His TV is a few years old and the screen coatings are much better nowadays. Some VERY good HDTVs have high gloss screens. These reflect the most, but in my opinion give the sharpest pics. However, the anti-glare screens are a close second and these would be my choice. Take a small flashlight with you and shine it on the active screen during the demo. Some TVs will reflect like a mirror and others you will hardly be able to see it.
Next week... surround sound!