HD TV Debacle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wasn't beefing but trying to emphasize that the cost of HDtv and perephials can get out of hand quickly.:D

So I took the plunge before I was flushed.

Back in August I called and got those gubberment coupons and went and bought a converter for ma TV. Brought it home, hooked it up and turned it on. (remember- no cable). Did a scan for available channels and found - 2! Ok, maybe anntenna is crappy so I switched with a better one I had stashed. Channel scan and - 3 channels!

The bulb over my head was starting to glow and now I realize that as much as they talk about those of us that use rabbit ears and analog, its not just a converter box you need - you also need an antenna!

Hit the Wal-Mart and bought a $30 anntenna. Brought it home, hooked it and a channel scan - 3 channels!

Went to Best Buy and bought a $40 antenna. Brought it back, hooked it up and did a scan - 3 channels!

Ok, enough of the generic chain stores. Went to Radio Shack bought a $50 antenna. Brought it back, hooked it up and scanned channels - 4 channels!
(mind you, 3 out of these 4 channels are Christian Worship channels including one in Spanish!)

Now I'm pissed.

I need to know what type of antenna I need and not the advice of some pimpled part-time High School student at Target! The World Wide Web!!!
I do a search on Google and one little thing catches my eye (cheap b@stard that I am :)). A YouTube video on how to make an HD antenna with coat hangers for $5!!!!

So one Sunday with nothing to do I watch the video, write down the particulars and gather up the items. After about 2 hours I have made myself from a 4 foot length of 2x4 wood, an antenna with 16 coathanger pieces sticking every whichaway in my living room. Hook it up and scan the channels------

34 channels!!!!

Now how to explain this to the In-Laws?

Hey, I need the link to that YouTube 2X4 and Coat Hanger antenna!!! I too refuse to pay for cable as the little television I watch it is not worth it.

Is this what the Antenna looks like? And do I need to wear a Aluminum Foil hat while watching the TV;)

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 39
You could probably just mount that puppy straight on the wall, and tell everyone its "modern art". Might even get some offers for it, if you're lucky. :lol:

Have you checked the website Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY ? Haven't searched for HD antenna hacks, but I'm purty sure that if they're anywhere, someone's posted one on there.

One thing I notice in that pic, Buck, it loks like the coathangers are coated. The video said to sand off the coating which I did and it worked.

:lol:

I'm just glad you non-technical folks are not allowed to redeem multiple HDTV coupons. I was one of the sorry Aholes who actually submitted for a coupon and threw it away hoping in vain that it would reduce the number of gov't handouts.

Alas... twas not to be so. :sad3:

Well, here is the link. Have fun! :)

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Actually that is not my antenna, I just pulled the picture off the internet. And no, I'm not sheltered just a cheap bassturd. Why would I pay a bunch of money for a new TV, Cable or Dish, new Antenna when I can rig up some Rube Goldberg device and watch my three or four hours of TV every week?
I'm not a member of the Cheap Bassturds Club for nothing you know;)

Its not gonna get all the channels and you have to move it to the best spot. I'm trying to see if other material besides coathangers might have a better reception. But it still is better than the store-bought crap that I got.

I wouldn't spend too much on the Antenna project just yet. You may get better reception on many of those channels once all the stations switch over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back