he 162 project opinions from within the reich (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While many people would agree that 262 was the best fighter of WW2, I'd say it was too good. Therefore it's mass production was hardly achievable, and therefore Germans needed a more simple fighter to bulk out the numbers - so they went for Volksjaeger. The only fault of He-162 was that it was ordered a year too late - too late to replace Bf-109 Fw-190.

I agree, but I also think that even a year is too optimistic. That'd mean the He 162 enters service around february '44 around the same time as the 'big week'. I don't think a tranistion of say more than 50 % of the JGs could be complete earlier than mid '44, roughly the same time the Jagdwaffe was broken.

I think to be a serious thread the jets would need to equip a larger part of the fighter force (30-50 %?) as early as february '44. That'd place their introduction at about autumn '43. Tough schedule.

i think they didnt believed the front would be constantly collapsing in on them as quickly as it did. they probably thought they had more time. had they been able to stall the advance on both fronts...which would have been a huge if in reality ...they might have gained some breathing room. how much of a difference would it have made...probably not much other than to stave off the inenivatable for x amount of time. but there is always that hail mary pass mentality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back