He-162 Salamander

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Read the report again.

The F4U's wing stalls at 18 deg, while the P-51's stalls at 17.7 deg.

It is well possible that I missed things and thus may be wrong but judging from this and other observations You made on technical reports, I think You are mixing it up and this comment may be filed down along Your comments about LE-slats and airfoil thickness=lift equitations. The P-51 wing (exactly an P-51B full scale model beeing tested, noted as airplane 1) doesn´t stall at 17.7 deg. You are free to verify this on Your own.
In the figures produced by the report, You can see that the wing dos provide lift at over 20 deg., when other wings are long completely stalled.

Attachments

• P-51_aircraft1_in naca829.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
Delcyros you need to read the report again;

2001492374458363986_rs.jpg

2001413509288248359_rs.jpg

As any nation facing the gut-wrenching reality of losing a war, the German aircraft industry became ever more innovative fielding creative and radical aircrafts in the last stages of WWII and the He 162 Salamander was not the exception. However as an unconventional fighter the He 162 did had its flaws, one of them was mounting the BMW 003 engine above the fuselage which made the aircraft unstable and another one was the aerodynamics problems which led to the adoption of turned-down wingtips but nevertheless it was an advance fighter and deserves its place in history.

Looking at the design of the He 162 I was wondering if anything remotely like it had also flown and I guess this is the nearest, the Miles M.100 Student. If you compare it with Heinkels more developed P.1073 proposal of October 1944 with swept wings the resemblance is even more remarkable.

Ironically, in view of much of the preceding discussion, it was designed to be a simple to fly and forgiving trainer, though it was not taken up. It was still flying as late as the 1980's however and is currently undergoing restoration.

Image1ms.jpg

Regarding Eurofighter's comment about the engine mounted above the fueslage and turned down wingtips, the same concept has worked extremely well in the A-10 Warthog...

A nice find, Waynos. Thanks for sharing it!

Apart from the long died out discussion, Eurofighter points to a valid generalisation. Diffusion of Innovation is a complex process, in which we would expect better acceptance of innovations in general conditions which require them. I remember Rogers writing a thick book about diffusion of innovation!

currently undergoing restoration.

Another "Heinkel looking" Brit undergoing restoration (France) would have to be the Somers-Kendall SK-1 racer of 1954. 332 mph on a 330lb. s.t. Turbomeca Palas engine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back