Head of F-35 programme fired by Pentagon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It suprised me to read that due to weight issues, the F-35 was design as a 7g airframe.

I do know that during the X-35 program, everything was done to keep weight down. I'm wondering it that is still the same for the marine version of the aircraft. 7gs is still pretty hefty.

It suprised me to read that due to weight issues, the F-35 was design as a 7g airframe.

CTOL is still at 9g, whilst STOVL is lower due to the weight issues, and CV is lower due to the larger wing. Is the lower g limit a particular problem? Not really, as if the fight progresses to WVR there are far more pressing problems for the F-35.

Perhaps not, but from what I have gleaned all the airframes are common and thus based upon STOVL version with lift fan compartment and mid-section engine. I am under the impression that they all are 7g airframes.

Perhaps not, but from what I have gleaned all the airframes are common and thus based upon STOVL version with lift fan compartment and mid-section engine. I am under the impression that they all are 7g airframes.

Maybe, but I don't think so based on what numbers are available. I'm not quite sure how much commonality there actually is between the STOVL and CTOL, the fuselage is really quite different. It's especially evident from head on.

As I understand it, the centre section of the fuselage in the F-35A and C are common, the F-35B is entirely different and features a different canopy shape with reduced rear vision and a shorter internal weapons bay to accomodate the lift fan between them, this also means that, out of necessity, the structure is also very different in this area, the fusealge contours in this area are also wider and slightly draggier than the other two versions.

The A is a 9g fighter as it will be replacing the F-16, another 9g fighter, and it will compete with other 9g fighters like the Typhoon, Gripen, Rafale etc etc.

The other models are 7g, they are also quite a lot heavier.

Attachments

• f35_technology_commonality.jpg
    f35_technology_commonality.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Matt. That middle row showing structure seems to match what I was saying about the centre section, though there seems to be less commonality between the three models overall than I thought

Last edited:
I do hope this program pulls out. cos the F-22, I hear is starting to be phased out. and this bird has never seen combat.

I do hope this program pulls out. cos the F-22, I hear is starting to be phased out. and this bird has never seen combat.

Errr, I don't know where you got that idea but the F-22 will be the real replacement for the F-15. They haven't finished the last batch of F-22s as we speak. The only thing that has gone down on the F-22 was the length of the program. The Obama Administration cut the total production numbers down by about 15 or 20 aircraft.

I think this post has been zapped back in time from the year 2047 by freak atmospheric conditions and it ius really referring to the USAF's autonomous unmanned and fully AI controlled F-48A Phantom III

:lol:

Errr, I don't know where you got that idea but the F-22 will be the real replacement for the F-15. They haven't finished the last batch of F-22s as we speak. The only thing that has gone down on the F-22 was the length of the program. The Obama Administration cut the total production numbers down by about 15 or 20 aircraft.

I dunno, i just heard somewhere. lol I mean the aircraft's first flight was in 1990. about 20 years ago.

Thats the price of progress Trebor. I remember whining like a bitch that the Tornado was just entering service in 1982 when it had flown eight years earlier in 1974! Seems quite speedy by current standards

Thanks Matt. That middle row showing structure seems to match what I was saying about the centre section, though there seems to be less commonality between the three models overall than I thought

Yeah the wing spar structure seems to be mostly common for all airframes. The CTOL/CV has the unigue gun platform not included in the STOVL. But they all have the common mid-section mounted engine. That STOVL C-of-G requirement, I would think, would be limiting for the other airframes.

Having said that, it is amazing that without moving the engine further to the rear for CTOL/CV that they are able to get 2 to 2.5 times the range of existing F-16/F-18C airplanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back