Hello from Gulf Coast Florida

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With Geo, VERY glad you suffered little damage. Yesterday we got about a inch of rain when Irma reached Arkansas.

Are we really 737 ft above sea level?

Yeah, there's over 3,000,000 folks without power as of this morning in Florida so hopefully Shortround is just off the grid for a while.

I know he's only a few miles east of me, kinda right where the storm passed through, so keep him and family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks so much for the thoughts everyone. We bailed out and went to Alabama to my brothers. Strangely the storm followed ME! :)

Got back about midnight last night and all is good at our house. A few carports got relocated in the complex. we have power.

Hoping everyone else in Florida is OK and has no damage.

14 and 13 hour drives for what is about 7 with no traffic.

Cheers, people :) Glad everything is back to normal as it is possible at the moment.

Thanks so much for the thoughts everyone. We bailed out and went to Alabama to my brothers. Strangely the storm followed ME! :)

*SNIP*

It must be your magnetic personality... ;)

Seriously though, glad you're all safe and sound over there on the "mainland". I was about to organize a search party and come looking for you.

P.S. Can you send a little of that power over my way... :sweat:

Great to hear you are OK, Shortround.

I have two close friends living in Tavernier Key that dodged a bullet by leaving. Old FL hands that remembered Donna and Andrew, more recently. It will be awhile before they clean up south of mile marker 74 but that is 10 miles south of their houses. Lost their boats but both houses OK.

Good to hear, my parents made it thru in St.Augustine, neighborhood trashed but their house survived

I was in Naples for Andrew. Having survived that I had decided next time to bug out and not try and ride it out again. Spent several hours trying to hold a mattress up against a sliding glass door with most of my living room furniture aiding the effort. Never found my boat, my car while not flooded had two trees on top of it, and all the screens on the house were gone. Took 3 days to get power back and 4 before motor vehicles could leave the complex. So I certainly sympathize!

I was in Naples for Andrew. Having survived that I had decided next time to bug out and not try and ride it out again. Spent several hours trying to hold a mattress up against a sliding glass door with most of my living room furniture aiding the effort. Never found my boat, my car while not flooded had two trees on top of it, and all the screens on the house were gone. Took 3 days to get power back and 4 before motor vehicles could leave the complex. So I certainly sympathize!

Robert - Yeah man, we were on this coast when Andrew hit and we sure said some prayers for you all over on the other coast.

I tell you true, Tampa/St. Pete./Clearwater dodged a massive bullet, had Irma not swerved inland and fallen apart, if it had hit us dead center like many of the predictions as a Cat 4+... *shiver*

NOT something I want to think about and in fact, the wife and I are assessing where we might want to relocate to. The Tampa area is pretty safe from hurricanes in general but after this, man the mountains are looking better all the time. :lol:

wildfiregraphic01.jpg
mountains are looking better all the time.
Bring your own water and lots of fire extinguishers

Hah! Thanks for the suggestions, we were looking more at Northern Georgia or Tennessee, or possibly the western Carolina's.

Mike - You killjoy... :)

My brother lives in Auburn AL. Seems like a nice area although I have no idea of the local politics/taxes. Easy driving to Columbus GA or Birmingham/Montgomery. Good medical facilities at a reasonable distance and with several collages in the area not too much of a cultural backwater. Checking the map shows a few decent looking lakes. Lake Martin and West Point lake.

I am sure the areas you are thinking of are fine too. Only drove through on the highway a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back